Messages between Mac & iPhone not syncing after upgrade to MacOS Sonoma 14.4 & iOS 17.4

The syncing process between MacBook Air (M2 2022 / MacOS 14.4) and iphone Pro Max 15 iOS 17.4 is broken. Everything worked fine and after the upgrade some messages are synced and some not. I have to different sets of messages (iMessages & SMS) on MacBook & iPhone. I tried to remove all messages and switching sync in the cloud off and then back on but id does not help.

It seems like if iPhone & Mac are near each other and are on - the messages are is sync, but when I'm away and send/receive few messages on iPhone they stay on iPhone and does not sync to Mac and vice versa.

Any ideas for help? I called Apple support but they were unable to help.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 18, 2024 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 2:27 PM

RE: >On your iPhone, go to Settings -> <your icon at the top> -> iCloud -> Show All<

Where do you see "Show All"? Doesn't appear on my iPhone, iOS 17.4.1.

I never had a problem until I upgraded this Macbook Pro last night to Sonoma 14.4.1. Now I see texts on my phone that don't appear in Messages on this screen.

Hope someone can help. I do nearly half my messaging from this laptop. Thanks.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2024 2:27 PM in response to urmi02

RE: >On your iPhone, go to Settings -> <your icon at the top> -> iCloud -> Show All<

Where do you see "Show All"? Doesn't appear on my iPhone, iOS 17.4.1.

I never had a problem until I upgraded this Macbook Pro last night to Sonoma 14.4.1. Now I see texts on my phone that don't appear in Messages on this screen.

Hope someone can help. I do nearly half my messaging from this laptop. Thanks.

Mar 21, 2024 5:24 PM in response to PiotrPoznan

Here's what's been working for me:

• On your iPhone, go to Settings -> <your icon at the top> -> iCloud -> Show All -> Messages in iCloud -> Sync Now
  • (Once it's done syncing, note how many messages it says are in iCloud.)
  • On your Mac, go to System Settings -> <your icon at the top> -> iCloud -> Show More Apps -> Messages in iCloud -> Sync Now
  • If your MacBook still shows messages that your iPhone doesn't, you may need to repeat the steps one more time. The message counts the two devices think are in iCloud should match by the end. I still have one or two messages on my phone that never reached my Mac (or iCloud, presumably), but everything else shows up for me on both devices and the counts agree.

Doing this, sometimes multiple times a day, is a pain, as is unknowingly missing messages, so I hope Apple fixes the problem soon.

May 15, 2024 5:57 AM in response to PiotrPoznan

I finally upgraded my MacBook Pro from Monterey to Sonoma 14.4.1 a week ago (May 8, 2024) and have experienced this behavior of messages not syncing with my iPhone 13 (running 17.4.1) enough times that I felt the need to check the Apple Community for help. Probably 80% of my texting is done from my iPhone, but on occasions when I open my laptop to respond to a GREEN text message string that appeared on my iPhone, it was not on my laptop. This problem seems to occur mostly with GREEN text messages, although I have also experienced a delayed sync with BLUE iMessages. Prior to Sonoma 14.4.1, all messages synced seamlessly. As others have mentioned, my only resolution has also been restarting my Mac when this happens...which is a major pain. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents with hopes that Apple will address this obvious BUG with Sonoma 14.4.1...PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Mar 26, 2024 3:49 PM in response to ahw-apple

Sorry, for me the "Apps Using iCloud" section on the iCloud screen shows a partial list, and I have to select "Show All" at the bottom of it to see the rest of the apps, but if your list isn't that long then "Messages in iCloud" is probably shown already and you can just select it. Same with "Show More Apps" on the laptop.

Wow, now I'm afraid to upgrade to 14.4.1. Although maybe the problem isn't actually tied to a particular version but is rather a flaw in the combined upgrade process in general? I've seen posts complaining about it with 14.0, while it only started for me with 14.4. Anyway, good luck (to all of us)!

Mar 18, 2024 9:32 PM in response to PiotrPoznan

I cannot consistently send Messages from my MacBook Air (15" M2 2023 OS 14.4). There are two people (one with an iPhone, the other with an Android) that I can usually send to, but on occasion I get Message Not Sent notices and I can't seem to do anything about it. Those messages don't sync to my iPhone (ancient 2nd gen SE but iOS 17.4) either. I can send to those people consistently from my iPhone.

Mar 24, 2024 11:56 AM in response to urmi02

Update: this resolved for me with iOS 17.4.1. Since I had the problem both before and after installing iOS 17.4, I'd assumed the cause was the change to Sonoma 14.4, but I've now seen posts about it happening with other combinations of MacOS and iOS, so I guess it's just a tricky thing for Apple to solve for all cases.

Messages between Mac & iPhone not syncing after upgrade to MacOS Sonoma 14.4 & iOS 17.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.