Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to fix incorrect username or password for Outlook setup in iCloud

Outlook Setup for iCloud Incorrect username or password. Your setup couldn't start because your username or password is incorrect. Go to iCloud for Windows, sign out, and sign back in.

iCloud for Windows is downloaded from Microsoft Store

I'm using two-step authentication with App specific password for Outlook - email setup OK

In iCloud for Windows 10 when I enable "Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks With Outlook" I get the message:

"Outlook Setup for iCloud Incorrect username or password. Your setup couldn't start because your username or password is incorrect. Go to iCloud for Windows, sign out, and sign back in."

I previously had "Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks With Outlook" working but signed out of iCloud and now having signed back on I can't get it to work again.

iCloud Photos, Documents and Passwords all synchronise to PC OK, but not Outlook calendar/contacts

1. Have run repair Office/Outlook and re-added email accounts
  2. Uninstalled and re-installed iCloud for windows
  3. Tried multiple options of default profile in Outlook
  4. Deleted iCloud add-in from Outlook - but seems now iCloud will not re-add due to failed password issue

App window for iCloud shows Outlook Calendar and Contacts function working e.g. displays "Updated 2 minute ago" even though Calendar and Contacts do not appear in Outlook

Seems a lots of support issues online but none of the fixes seem to work. Wasted a lot of time trying to resolve issue and pretty frustrated, thinking of ditching iCloud and reverting back to Microsoft calendar and contacts

Any advice appreciated

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 5:38 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 8, 2024 10:19 AM in response to Dellji

Thanks for the posts and suggestions.

Unfortunately I continue to be pretty annoyed and frustrated.

Simply signing out and back in again to iCloud for Windows 10 caused the Password/Username failure.

The same failure is present on three separate Windows 10 devices that previously synchronised correctly.

And have not found any resolution despite trying multiple suggestions found online:

Can't sync icloud with outlook - Apple Community

Resolve issues between iCloud for Windows or iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support

Apr 8, 2024 10:40 PM in response to Scottgs62

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing significant challenges with the software, particularly with the Outlook integration feature, which doesn't seem to function correctly. Despite carefully following all recommended steps, I now encounter a persistent issue where the iCloud window unexpectedly pops up every 5-10 minutes, disrupting my workflow. The only workaround I've found is to keep this window open continuously, which is far from ideal. Additionally, iCloud Drive fails to initialize properly.

@B0bF , I noticed you mentioned attempting a reinstallation. Have you faced similar issues post-reinstallation, or did it resolve the problems for you?

I appreciate any advice or solutions the community might offer. Thank you for your help.

Mar 26, 2024 1:24 PM in response to B0bF

I have had the same problem on my laptop for years.

The following fix used to work but resent Microsoft update has stopped contacts syncing again.

1. Run iCloud setup as the logged-in iCloud user.

2. Un-check the "Contacts and Calendars with Outlook" option, apply and close.

3. Run Outlook, go to File / Options / Add-ins / Manage COM Add-ins / Go...

4. Disable the iCloud Outlook addin, close Outlook.

5. Run Outlook with "Run as Administrator", disable iCloud addin as per 3&4 above.

6. Keeping Outlook open, /remove/ the iCloud addin, still as Administrator.

7. Close Outlook (may need to reboot; probably not -- feel free to try both ways).

8. Run Task Manager, close all iCloud processes if any are running (may need click "more details" and scroll down).

9. Run iCloud setup with "Run as Administrator", enter password, confirm via 2fp

10. If iCloud won't run, then it needs to be updated as part of the Windows update, and requires a reboot.

11. In which case, reboot, and repeat from step 8 above.

12. Check the "Contacts and Calendars with Outlook" option, apply and close.

13. Run iCloud setup as the logged-in iCloud user, enter password and confirm if needed.

14. Check the "Contacts and Calendars with Outlook" option, apply and close.

15. Run Outlook as administrator, go to File / Options / Add-ins / Manage COM Add-ins / Go...

16. Manually add the iCloud Outlook Add-in from the file in %ProgramData%, typically:

17. C:\ProgramData\Apple Inc\iCloud\Outlook\aplzod32.dll

18. Close options.

19. The iCloud outlook add-in toolbar icon will say "wrong password" instead of "refresh".

20. This is fine because Outlook was started as administrator and is using the wrong credential cache.

21. Close outlook.

22. Re-open Outlook as the logged-in user and it should now be happy and show "refresh".

Apr 3, 2024 4:47 PM in response to Dellji

@BObF – I’m in the same situation as you and probably just as frustrated.  I’m on win 10 and OL2019. iCloud worked for years.  But I hit this bug when I simply signed out of iCloud and tried to sign back in. My 4 other devices (iPhones and iPads) all still sync.  The 22-steps posted by @Scottgs62 gave me the same results as @Dellji.  I’ve also seen this problem discussed in several other places online but no solutions yet.

May 14, 2024 1:31 PM in response to B0bF

@BObF - I'm using OL2019. It was a big pain, but this is what finally worked for me:

1- Upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11

2- Uninstalled iCloud 15.0.215.0 but did not uninstall “iCloud Outlook” 15.0.0.215

(that’s not a typo, the rev numbers are different)

3- Installed iCloud 13.4.101.0

4- Apple’s 2FA only partially worked

5- The 2FA location verify pop-up disappeared too quick, so

6- I had to select “Send code to a trusted device”

7- I selected one, but there was no place to click, so I hit enter on my keyboard. It worked.

8- After iCloud 13.4.101.0 installed, my OL2019 contacts and calendars synced

9- Closed OL2019 and ran Windows Store Update which updated iCloud 13.4.101.0 to 15.0.215.0

10- My contacts and calendars have been in sync for over a month, but I haven’t signed out of iCloud. 

[Edited by Moderator]

How to fix incorrect username or password for Outlook setup in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.