Additional 17.4 and 17.4.1 problems

Hello, I’m having issues ever since I started downloading 17.4 and 17.4.1 iOS updates for the iPhone 13 mini I have experience nothing but a long list of problems that make my phone unusable like crashing overheating battery drain even if I turn off all the settings, even if I put on airplane mode Compatibility with other devices Wi-Fi messing up Bluetooth messing up not detecting a Sim card or an eSIM card or even my back up Sim card everything is updated on the phone, but it has nothing but problems ever since the day of the 14.1 update which I did about a week ago And to me, it seems very strange that they would prompt me to download this update called a critical update for security but now my phone is least secure. It’s not working at all and still obviously having tons of issues. Cannot stay connected to anything from the update and 17.4.1 was supposed to fix this, but has been effective for my phone. It doesn’t seem like there’s really anyone to talk to you. I’ve I’ve done basically everything you possibly can to try to get it to work on the phone , it’s not doing it. The only other option is to revert back to a different iOS update like iOS 17.3 or something before this I believe I would have to have a computer to do that which I don’t have. Does anyone have any recommendations? does anyone else think that this might Cause permanent damage to the phone does anyone else consider that it would seem hard to release this type of update that could be so severe and tell everyone is so critical to download without intention phones could be tested and labeled that critical just cause all these issues seems very strange it’s happening to way too many people to coincidence my typing doesn’t have any punctuation because I cannot actually use the keyboard on my phone because I’m having keyboard issues as well if I try to either switch keyboards or use the number button or the tab button on the phone it will cause it to delete what I’m typing or choose to randomly put dashes or just switch keyboards even when I’m not trying to, so I have to use the speech to text option. Has iPhone announced any compensation for downtime and for the problems or permanent damage may cause to the devices?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 4:33 PM

Several issues with 17.4.1. Can’t receive texts, apps doesn’t work, and can’t turn phone off

Similar questions

69 replies

Apr 4, 2024 7:27 AM in response to iPhone13miniuser

I’ve been an iPhone user since the 7 came out and this is the first iOS update that I’ve ever experienced problems with. I have a 14 pm and the internet connection has been unstable and frequently losing connection. I usually get 300-500 download and 75-150 upload but last test it clocked at 8 download and 0.90 upload with 57% stability rating. A lot of my apps are messed up too. Facebook, Instagram, twitter, Youtube and Reddit all won’t load most of the time or will load the first 3-4 posts and then every post after that is blank. Yahoo fantasy constantly freezes and goes blank after like a minute of use. Safari freezes almost every time I try to search something. I have an app for a local grocery store and it took me almost an hour to do a 15 item order that should’ve taken no more than 10-15 min to complete but nothing would load and it kept signing me out of the app. It’s been extremely frustrating, my phone is basically useless outside of texting/calling. Took me 3 tries just to get this website to load. I’ve factory reset network settings and hard reset phone but neither made a difference. I have an iPhone 12 too and I usually do the upgrade on that first to see the functionality and then upgrade my main phone if there are no major bugs but somehow automatic download got turned on (I’ve always had it off) and I guess sometime in the middle of the night I accepted the install. I hope they patch this soon. I use my phone a lot at work and it’s hard when I have unstable connection and apps that won’t load

Apr 4, 2024 7:49 AM in response to iPhone13miniuser

14 Pro here, no cellular connection after IOS17.4.1 despite showing 5G/LTE connected.

Have been to an Apple store and carrier store. Both confirm no issues on their ends and send me back to the other.

Other steps taken to try and fix with no success

1. Reset Network settings
  2. Set 5G in cellular to LTE and vice versa
  3. Turned off private relay (had been turned off already)
  4. Erase and Reset phone
  5. Turn airplane mode on/off
  6. Restored phone as new
  7. Restored phone from backup
  8. Apple will not replace phone as they find nothing wrong in their diagnostics
  9. Verizon will not replace as they have nothing wrong on their end
  10. Verizon reset eSim, re-provisioned and added line boosters to no success
  11. No outages or cellular network problems in my area and area's I have travelled (no spotty connections)

I have been on the forums and techs since April 1 with no success. No one else on same phone plan as I has any issues.

Has anyone had any luck? I have a feeling Apple is aware of the bugs but are laying low and will issue a patch as if nothing happened. If there is anyone who has had similar as I, tried everything but no fix please feel free to reach out maybe there is something we find together. At this point after almost 2 weeks with IOS17.4.1 and no cellular I need the phone to work.

Receiving .4mbps speeds on Verizons LTE/5G network.

TL;DR Have tried everything, been to Apple but still no cellular service despite saying 5G/LTE on phone.

Mar 29, 2024 12:10 AM in response to Jan-H

Apple store will perform a DFU restore. You'll have issues if you don't pay for the premium iCloud service and problems with eSIM too. Even then, that might not be a fix. It's a gamble.

As such, my rule of thumb (which I admittedly don't always follow) is wait a few months after an update is officially made available before downloading.

Apr 1, 2024 4:17 AM in response to iPhone13miniuser

My Dad's SE3 is doing the same thing when updated to 17.4, it reads NO SIM. We contacted the carrier and after a long "try this" session it started working again, for about a week and then back to NO SIM back to the carrier and finally got it running again. When 17.4.1 came out I thought finally a fix and updated it for him, NOPE, broke AGAIN. NO SIM, phone call to carrier again and after another hour and a half of "now try this" it was working. He went back to his house and in 4 days it was back to "NO SIM" This is crazy, my Dad is 83 and NEEDS his phone for safety purposes. We choose Apple because we thought it was better, I am now second guessing our choice. I will not be updating my phone any time soon. Apple do better. The nearest Apple store to us is nearly four hours away.

Additional 17.4 and 17.4.1 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.