iMac2017, external SSD as startup disk, crashes related to sleep/standby

I have an iMac 27" 2017 with a faulty internal disk, and I now have a working system on a Lacie Rugged Thunderbird 3 2T drive. Everything works ok, but whenever it goes or is put to sleep, after a while a reboot occurs caused by

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff801dcf7dd8): AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0xffffff96dc8d6040 : 0xffffff801fc646c2, 3 -> 0) timed out after 100169 ms @IOServicePM.cpp:5604

Panicked task 0xffffffa0757989d8: 229 threads: pid 0: kernel_task

I have tried with two external drives, an USB one and this, as well as various pmset settings. As long as the iMac is not put to sleep, it works fine.

Now my main question is, whether this is bound to happen with an USB or Thunderbird drive as the startup disk, or if there is way to configure sleep so as to work also with an external startup disk.

Note also, that the faulty internal drive is still there... can it be the cause for this trouble. It is not mounted though.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 3:54 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 28, 2024 8:12 AM in response to hcsitas

I am not the only user of this iMac. It is a bit awkward if another user inadvertently does alt-cmd-eject, and later the wakeup hangs, so that the only way to recover is a long press on the power button. I've seen that happen too, a week ago when using usb startup disk.

No point arguing further on this. I'll see how it works now with the thunderbird drive and the present settings. Even a crash with reboot after wakeup is not a big problem.

iMac2017, external SSD as startup disk, crashes related to sleep/standby

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.