iPhone 12 Pro freezing on iOS 17.4(.1) when selecting text (or sometimes when trying to type)

Since about 2 days ago my good old iPhone 12 Pro has started going nuts. Whenever I try to select any text on a webpage (or in any app) and often when I tap on anywhere that brings up a keyboard to start typing the app freezes and then after some time crashes.

I tried rebooting and it helps for about 1 min after which same stuff happens again. I

also tried resetting the dictionary, turning off check spelling, predictive typing, etc. in the keyboard setting which didn’t help.

Furthermore I tried unticking all the checkmarks in the selected dictionaries (though most of the time the settings app freezes when trying to open the dictionary section.

Finally I tried updating to 17.4.1 (from 17.4) which also didn’t help.

Interestingly I was unable to update from the phone itself, it was spinning on checking new version until finally throwing up “Unable to check for new version”. I had to update using the mac and on 17.4.1 it behaves the same.

I am afraid to try the wipe and restore from backup nuclear option as I will lose the eSim and I’m in a different country now from where I got the line from and it will be a challenge to restore it.

What else can I do?

iPhone X

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 8:53 AM

First of all, this thread is incredibly hard to find. For a while, I felt like I was the only one with this problem. Only way it showed up on Google was "iphone hang text select" and setting the date range to "last month". "iphone hang select text" e.g., you won't find any of it. Same goes for "ios text select crash" or "iphone mark text crash". (<- some fodder for Google right here ...)

So: Experiencing the exact same situation. Problem started on an iPhone Pro Max 15 with iOS 17.4, no change with 17.4.1.

• Hang / crash when selecting text (not always, but most of the times)
  • Keyboard sometimes hanging itself up all of a sudden, need to restart
  • BETTER after restart, forced or normal; but no more than for a few minutes
  • Problem signing into the Security menu of iCloud (in Settings)

Let's see if we find some more common ground and maybe find the culprit here! Same as most of you, I've tried plenty of other stuff and changing settings, to no avail. Some things odd I noticed are:

• I cannot do a full backup to my Mac; neither via Finder or via iMazing; it goes on for many hours and doesn't finish
  • I've got plenty of space, photos set to "Optimization" -> iCloud, only few stored on machine, yet at one point, my iPhone ran into "no more memory" and I couldn't save any more photos; it's a 512GB phone, actually plenty of space left - even with all photos stored on the machine instead of in the Cloud it wouldn't have been full
  • my iMessages showed up in iCloud unusually high, I think around 300GB. Didn't make sense; I disabled iCloud Messages on all my machines, will have to wait two more weeks so after 30 days, they are actually fully erased on the Cloud, then try setting it to iCloud again

A few years back, I had an issue with Notes using up hundreds of GB of mobile data; no one could help. Called Apple so many times. My solution was: Accessing the IMAP server via Thunderbird, which showed me some "ghost" directories for notes. That was when they changed the way notes are stored, I think. Anyway: I deleted the folders (that didn't show up in Mac Mail) manually and that resolved that issue.

So, maybe some app / sync process is filling up the available space / RAM / processor / who-knows-what?

My questions to fellow sufferers of this issue would be:

• Can you check if any section uses up unsually much space on iCloud?
  • did any of you run into a "space full" sort-of message even though you still had plenty of space?
  • Did you ever have an issue with the Notes app, such as unsually high data volume when syncing?
  • Is anyone using iMazing?
  • Can you do a full backup of your iPhone to your Mac - one that actually finishes?
  • Any troubles with iMessage size-wise, when looking at Space on iCloud and under the tab with the space needed on the volume / "hard drive" of your iPhone?

I would think we're gonna find at least one more commonality that actually causes this trouble. Seeing that it's so incredibly hard to find any similar reports on the web, it's not unreasonable to think this is a minority issue. Culprit must be somewhere, and Apple is probably not going through the trouble helping us there ... they will probably recommend a full reset. And: I would do one, but not w/o a full backup to disk (which I cannot do right now ...)

[Edited by Moderator]

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2024 8:53 AM in response to ChiffaNe

First of all, this thread is incredibly hard to find. For a while, I felt like I was the only one with this problem. Only way it showed up on Google was "iphone hang text select" and setting the date range to "last month". "iphone hang select text" e.g., you won't find any of it. Same goes for "ios text select crash" or "iphone mark text crash". (<- some fodder for Google right here ...)

So: Experiencing the exact same situation. Problem started on an iPhone Pro Max 15 with iOS 17.4, no change with 17.4.1.

• Hang / crash when selecting text (not always, but most of the times)
  • Keyboard sometimes hanging itself up all of a sudden, need to restart
  • BETTER after restart, forced or normal; but no more than for a few minutes
  • Problem signing into the Security menu of iCloud (in Settings)

Let's see if we find some more common ground and maybe find the culprit here! Same as most of you, I've tried plenty of other stuff and changing settings, to no avail. Some things odd I noticed are:

• I cannot do a full backup to my Mac; neither via Finder or via iMazing; it goes on for many hours and doesn't finish
  • I've got plenty of space, photos set to "Optimization" -> iCloud, only few stored on machine, yet at one point, my iPhone ran into "no more memory" and I couldn't save any more photos; it's a 512GB phone, actually plenty of space left - even with all photos stored on the machine instead of in the Cloud it wouldn't have been full
  • my iMessages showed up in iCloud unusually high, I think around 300GB. Didn't make sense; I disabled iCloud Messages on all my machines, will have to wait two more weeks so after 30 days, they are actually fully erased on the Cloud, then try setting it to iCloud again

A few years back, I had an issue with Notes using up hundreds of GB of mobile data; no one could help. Called Apple so many times. My solution was: Accessing the IMAP server via Thunderbird, which showed me some "ghost" directories for notes. That was when they changed the way notes are stored, I think. Anyway: I deleted the folders (that didn't show up in Mac Mail) manually and that resolved that issue.

So, maybe some app / sync process is filling up the available space / RAM / processor / who-knows-what?

My questions to fellow sufferers of this issue would be:

• Can you check if any section uses up unsually much space on iCloud?
  • did any of you run into a "space full" sort-of message even though you still had plenty of space?
  • Did you ever have an issue with the Notes app, such as unsually high data volume when syncing?
  • Is anyone using iMazing?
  • Can you do a full backup of your iPhone to your Mac - one that actually finishes?
  • Any troubles with iMessage size-wise, when looking at Space on iCloud and under the tab with the space needed on the volume / "hard drive" of your iPhone?

I would think we're gonna find at least one more commonality that actually causes this trouble. Seeing that it's so incredibly hard to find any similar reports on the web, it's not unreasonable to think this is a minority issue. Culprit must be somewhere, and Apple is probably not going through the trouble helping us there ... they will probably recommend a full reset. And: I would do one, but not w/o a full backup to disk (which I cannot do right now ...)

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 13, 2024 8:08 AM in response to ChiffaNe

I am having the same issues with my Iphone 12 Pro max, where my phone freeze not only after some copy/paste but also with Safari as well.

when this happen and I try to reset the device by holding the power botton and the volume up, the phone totally freeze. I am able to turn off the Iphone only by asking Siri "turn off my iphone".

the issue started to happen after the 17.4 update. I had some hope with the 17.4.1 but the bug persist...

May 18, 2024 11:20 AM in response to ChiffaNe

Did more experiments to figure out where the root issue might be – and I think we are on to something. The iOS features that we are having problems with all require Apple ID.

• System Update: Apple ID is used to determine which iOS build is offered (i.e. developer, public beta, main release)

• Highlight text: maybe checking for other devices on network that is signed in to same Apple ID to facilitate copy/paste Continuity feature

To further corroborate our findings, the Apple Store app which uses Apple ID to track order and purchases is also non-functional (i.e. crashes on load)

So, a likely fix to this could be simple: signing in and out of iCloud account from Settings. See Sign out of iCloud on your devices - Apple Support for more details. Do give it a try and report back. Good luck!

Apr 11, 2024 6:25 AM in response to effjayodellmay

Unfortunately not.

Using the steps above (reinstall via dfu, network settings reset and turning off the dictionaries) I at least don’t get any more freezing when trying to type or selecting text in input box. Selecting something on a webpage or similar still freezes.

At this point I’m basically waiting for the next update and hoping it will fix the issue.

Mar 28, 2024 2:28 PM in response to ChiffaNe

Another update - after a couple more hours of poking and troubleshooting I tried to reinstall 17.4.1 via DFU mode and it partially helped - selecting text stopped crashing but I still could not enable any dictionaries or check for a software update.

Guessing this might have something to do with access to apple servers I tried to reset network setting AND IT WORKED!

After the reboot I was able to readd the dictionaries, access security, change voices, the whole 9 yards. It did throw me for a bit of a loop as it spent it’s fair share of thinking when I was turning on the dictionaries (I’d say it froze up for about 15-20 seconds) but then it unfroze and succeeded. I guess it was indexing or copying something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Long story short for anyone with the above symptoms:

1. Connect the phone to your mac or pc.
  2. Put your phone in DFU mode
1. Quick-press the Volume Up button.
2. Quick-press the Volume Down button.
3. Long-press and hold the Side button. (After 10 seconds, the screen goes black.)
4. Once the screen goes black, while holding down the Side button, long-press the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
5. After 5 seconds, release the Side button while continuing to hold down the Volume Down button for an additional 10 seconds.

3. Using Finder or iTunes update the phone to the latest version (be careful NOT to select “restore” as you will lose all data)

4. On the phone go to Settings - General - Transfer or reset iPhone - Reset and tap Reset Network Settings

5. Profit

Hope this helps someone else.

ChiffaNe wrote:

I did some more poking and found that the settings also freeze when I try to change the Siri voice (not language, that is fine) or enter the Sign-in & Security menu in iCloud. I’m starting to have a feeling this is in some way related to broken rights to access any kind of system downloaded data (different siri voices, dictionaries, etc)

Jun 5, 2024 12:50 AM in response to wildlywicked3

Oh man that’s depressing to hear. Full restore is not an option for me right now. I did find a partial fix, if I disable predictive text and check spelling in the keyboard settings. At least it doesn’t crash in Messages and WhatsApp’s when I type or select text. Still crashes when selecting text in all other apps like Safari and Mail.

Jun 7, 2024 5:33 AM in response to patchy5

You can also try disabling all dictionaries, may improve.

After doing a Reset all setting (not full wipe/restore) and disabling all dictionaries, predictive typing, spell check, etc. in most cases select text no longer freezes the app. Though sometimes it still does and sometimes the keyboard freezes altogether in all apps - it pulls up but no buttons press - only way out is to reboot.

Keeping fingers crossed for 18

May 24, 2024 5:54 AM in response to ChiffaNe

It sounds like you're experiencing quite a frustrating issue with your iPhone 12 Pro on iOS 17.4.1. Given that you've already tried several troubleshooting steps without success, here are a few additional methods you can try:

1. **Force Restart Your iPhone:**-If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.

- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.

- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.

2. **Reset All Settings:**

- Go to **Settings** > **General** > **Transfer or Reset iPhone** > **Reset**.

- Select **Reset All Settings**. This will reset all system settings to default but won’t delete your data.

3. **Free Up Storage Space:**

- Check if your iPhone has enough free storage. Go to **Settings** > **General** > **iPhone Storage** and make sure you have at least 1-2 GB of free space.

. **Try system repair:**

- Since you’ve updated to iOS 17.4.1 without success, consider to repair. it can help fix many system issues without data loss.

5. **Contact Apple Support:**

- If none of the above steps work, it might be a deeper issue with the iOS or hardware. Contact Apple Support for further assistance. They might provide specific solutions or recommend a service appointment.

Given your concern about losing the eSIM, I recommend trying all the above steps before considering a full wipe and restore. If a full restore becomes necessary, check if your carrier offers any solutions for reactivating your eSIM remotely. 

I hope one of these methods helps resolve the issue with your iPhone.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 23, 2024 5:10 AM in response to ChiffaNe

Same thing on my 12 Pro.

I've only found two things on the phone that take 'a very long time' right now:

• Going into Settings -> General -> Dictionaries either hangs Settings app completely, or if I do a network settings reset lets me get in, but takes a few minutes.
  • Trying to check if a Software Update exists from the phone just spins the spinner and never completes. (Via desktop connection it claims it's up to date).

Since the hang happens for me when the keyboard is used, and the dictionaries are what take forever to load, I suspect something related to those two things.

Incredibly frustrating to have to restart my phone a few times a day.

Apr 24, 2024 4:20 AM in response to ollimuc

unfortunately I don’t own apple SEO so I’m not sure what I can do to make this topic more findable. 

from my side the answers to your questions are

• Can you check if any section uses up unsually much space on iCloud? - about 40 gb for iMessage, seems reasonable for 10+ years of photos & videos. Nothing unexpected in other sections. 
  • did any of you run into a "space full" sort-of message even though you still had plenty of space? - No
  • Did you ever have an issue with the Notes app, such as unsually high data volume when syncing? - No
  • Is anyone using iMazing? -No
  • Can you do a full backup of your iPhone to your Mac - one that actually finishes? - Haven’t tried, the iCloud backup is up to date
  • Any troubles with iMessage size-wise, when looking at Space on iCloud and under the tab with the space needed on the volume / "hard drive" of your iPhone? - no, barely 2 gb on iPhone, still 20gb free

Overall for me it seems more like a permissions problem rather than anything else. Let me know if I can aid yout investigation in any manner, I’m out of ideas myself. 

May 14, 2024 3:30 AM in response to ChiffaNe

Update: 17.5 doesn't solve it, just for a mere few minutes.

Here's what I initially posted:

*sound of knock on wood* 🪵

(Possible) SOLUTION: Update to 17.5 which has just been released.

You most likely cannot do it via your iPhone (since "Update" stall is one of the issues), here's how you can update anyway:

• hook up your iPhone to your Mac (via USB)
  • open your device in Finder, you should find it in the sidebar
  • there, you should be able to run an update

Personally, I used iMazing 3 - which is a paid app, though, and hopefully unnecessary for the update process which can also be done via Finder; if you have it, though, might as well use it. On the first try, it didn't work and yielded an error message. Second try, all went well.

I've only tested it on 17.5 for a few minutes so far, so hopefully the problem won't return (as suggested by ChiffaNe, possible logs etc. might cause this - which would be gone after an update, but may fill up again - oh my, the next few days are gonna be filled with adrenaline ... 😳).

What works now and didn't before:

• highlighting / selecting text
  • opening "Dictionary"
  • opening and changing Siri voice
  • opening "Updates" and either get an update available or up-to-date message

Will update if problem returns. I hope you won't hear of me ever again (at least on this thread, though) ... 😂

May 20, 2024 4:45 AM in response to ChiffaNe

Wonderful idea, ervintwj - very much appreciated! Seems like you were spot on with your diagnosis. Apple ID is the culprit, and the solution most likely is:

• sign out from Apple ID (settings, first section)
  • keep copies of your data on iPhone probably not a bad idea to save some time when you later re-add your ID
  • sign into your Apple ID again (do use the manual way, the auto way via another iDevice seems to want to do a more thorough reinstall)

This does work. For now, at least ... Unless the problem comes back like after the update to 17.5 ... thumbs crossed.

Thanks again, ervintwj - VERY helpful.

iPhone 12 Pro freezing on iOS 17.4(.1) when selecting text (or sometimes when trying to type)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.