Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

New IOS 17.4.1 after downloaded iPhone faces many problems

Extremely sad and disappointed with each update of new IOS. I tend to hold and waited a few months later then update the new IOS, but realised that it does made my phone acting lagged and slow, every inner parts of the hardware seems haywire. Charging was extremely slow, the keyboard was lagging, phone suddenly freeze. Despite shutdown and on it back, doesn’t helped. The problems stayed.

and after updated to the IOS (since left with no choice), my phone got worst! My battery eats up very fast, charging was extremely slow. From 74% after 2 hours later, it was 80%…and I was using super charged. I love the whole exterior of IPhone. But I’m also hoping the IT people from Apple’s able to solve this critical problem that everyone is facing. It has become a phobia each time new IOS is out, I am holding back to download! After so many experience of IOS download had fail on my phone and causing the whole phone with software problems until I almost stop using my phone!!!

Apple should focus on the software problem FIRST as the main priority rather than rushing to come out with new models of IPhone and creating new designs. First thing first, maintain your software stable and good performance in order to retain your loyal customers!

Posted on Mar 30, 2024 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 1:51 PM

17.4.1 has been buggy trash. This is not an update, it’s a virus. so many issues. Apple seems to break functions of various kinds every time they release an update, but this one has been appalling. Get it together.

Similar questions

24 replies

Apr 17, 2024 11:04 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

For the 1st time in 9 yrs I’m considering going back to android. 17.4.1 is the worst update I regrettably felt forced into. Voice text has a mind of its own if it even works after 2 words and microphone turns off, I’m correcting text it’s decided I should be typing before I even type and don’t know what AI they interpreted into this update but it’s dumb and they should be embarrassed. My battery is draoned after 3 hrs and takes forever to recharge. I have a 14 pro max, I used to be able to use it for 1.5 days without reaching for a charger. I’m so disgusted by this update. I’m really ready to admit to my android boyfriend he’s right and I’m wrong

Apr 22, 2024 6:58 PM in response to manmohan113

Similar situation with my iphone 11, stop charging when on. Only charges when off, but drain quickly, it was after update 17.4.1. Battery is still at 73% max life, tried turning off and on battery optimizer. Also it chargers very slowly wireless but phone heats up. I hope apple releases a new update quickly to fix this big problem, cannot use my phone as currently is.

May 3, 2024 6:39 AM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

This is the worst „update“ I ever had for the last 13 years since I am using an iPhone as my primary phone.

My 11 Pro is lagging and freezing frequently, some apps are unusable. I thought Apple is (again) reducing CPU clocks in order to save battery life on older devices, but I am seeing reports on reddit from people having similar or worse issues.

Mar 30, 2024 11:50 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

Kittyhappysaysmeow wrote:

After so many experience of IOS download had fail on my phone and causing the whole phone with software problems until I almost stop using my phone!!!

Cannot update iOS 

62734Last modified Mar 7, 2024 9:54 PM

Check internet connectivity.

Your device is probably not connected to the internet. There are a few steps you can take to verify the connectivity of your device.

You may test the internet connectivity in two ways...

1. Firstly, you can open a web browser on your device. When you open a web browser, the initial page that loads is typically based on your browsing history or cookies. To further confirm the connection, you can tap on any link on that website. If the link opens and displays the corresponding content, it confirms that your device is indeed connected to the internet. See the pic below
  2. Another method to check internet connectivity is by opening a specific application that requires an internet connection. WhatsApp is an example of such an application. When you launch WhatsApp, it immediately attempts to establish a connection with its servers to synchronize your chats and display any new messages. If you can see your chat conversations and receive real-time updates, it indicates that your device is connected to the internet. See the pic below

Connecting to Wi-Fi is the initial step, followed by establishing an internet connection.

However, it's important to note that connecting to Wi-Fi does not automatically guarantee an internet connection. If you are unable to connect to Wi-Fi, the issue may stem from settings on your iPhone or the router/modem.

On the other hand, if you are unable to establish an internet connection despite being connected to Wi-Fi, the problem is likely related to the settings on your router/modem. In such cases, it is advisable to promptly contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.

Check Router Settings

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

Contact ISP or Carrier

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency that issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency that provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Update options:

There are only 2 ways to update an iOS/iPadOS. Know how to...

Check Apple Server Outages: Support - System Status - Apple

Mar 30, 2024 11:45 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

and after updated to the IOS (since left with no choice), my phone got worst! My battery eats up very fast, charging was extremely slow. From 74% after 2 hours later, it was 80%…and I was using super charged. I love the whole exterior of IPhone.

Prolong and Maximise Battery Performance and maintain Health of the Battery

The measure of battery health deterioration/drainage is subjective and can vary depending on individual usage patterns. There is no universal standard to determine whether the battery health deterioration/drainage is normal or abnormal because it heavily relies on how the battery is used and maintained.

Protect & Prolong the Life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try to monitor Battery usage by iPhone Activity as shown below

What is shown under battery usage? Checking that would give you an indication of the usage behavior.

1. Background Activity
  2. Notifications
  3. Connected to Charger
  4. Or any Other

See the pic below (iPhone 12 Pro iOS 17.3.1)

"Show Activity" feature will show you more info see the pic below

Try some of these options too.

To prolong the life of your iPhone battery, you can follow these tips and best practices:

To prolong the life of your iPhone battery, you can follow these tips and best practices:

1. Optimize Battery Charging: Enable the "Optimized Battery Charging" feature on your iPhone. It helps reduce the wear on the battery by slowing down the battery aging process. You can find this option in Settings > Battery > Battery Health. About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  2. Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can negatively impact your battery life. Avoid exposing your iPhone to excessive heat or cold, such as leaving it in direct sunlight or in a freezing car.If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold – Apple Support (UK)
  3. Use Original Chargers and Cables: Always use Apple's original chargers and cables or certified third-party accessories. Low-quality chargers or cables can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan. Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support (IN)
  4. Avoid Draining the Battery to Zero: Charge it whenever the charge becomes lower than 20%. The rest is up to you when to charge. how long to charge, how often to charge, which adapter to use starting from 5W to 140W USB-C Power Adapter etc.
  5. Optimize Display Settings: Adjust your display settings to optimize battery life. Lower the screen brightness, enable auto-brightness, and use shorter screen timeout durations. Adjust the display and text size on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  6. Minimize Background App Refresh: Limit the number of apps allowed to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and disable it for apps that don't require real-time updates. Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  7. Disable Push Email: Push email notifications can drain your battery quickly. Instead, set your email accounts to fetch data manually or at longer intervals. You can change this setting in Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data.

Mar 30, 2024 11:47 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

but realised that it does made my phone acting lagged and slow, every inner parts of the hardware seems haywire.

There may be several reasons due to which an iPhone may behave as described by you. Some of them could be...

Let's delve a bit deeper into some of them:

1. Storage: A full iPhone can definitely slow things down. Phones can experience performance issues when the storage is nearly full. Users can check their storage status by going to Settings > General > [Device] Storage. Deleting unnecessary apps, photos, or videos can free up space and improve performance. How to check the storage on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support.
  2. Battery Health: A degraded battery can impact performance. A deteriorating battery can impact the overall performance of an iPhone. Checking the battery health can be done by going to Settings > Battery > Battery Health. If the maximum capacity is significantly reduced, it might be time to replace the battery. Prolong and Maximise Battery Performance … - Apple Community
  3. Incorrect Handling: Accidental drops or bumps can cause internal damage. looking at the Apple's guide on proper handling is a good step. Important handling information for iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  4. Environmental Issues: Extreme temperatures, dust, and water exposure can all be detrimental.
    1. Keeping iPhone clean is an important step. Dust accumulation in the iPhone's ports and openings can affect functionality. Apple provides guidelines on how to clean iPhones safely, which usually involves using a soft, lint-free cloth to remove dust without causing damage. Cleaning your iPhone - Apple Support
    2. Keep the iPhone within temperature limits. Phones are designed to operate within a specific temperature range. Exposure to extreme temperatures, especially in parked cars, can lead to overheating or other performance issues. If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support.
    3. Addressing safety issues is also important: Important safety information for iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  5. Unauthorized Service: Servicing an iPhone through unauthorized channels can result in substandard repairs and void warranties. Users should always seek authorized Apple service centers for repairs and maintenance.
    1. Repairs by unqualified technicians can introduce new problems. Find information about your warranty or AppleCare plan - Apple Support is helpful.
    2. Modification / Alteration of an iPhone by a third-party vendor may cause issues beyond repair. --> Unauthorized modification of iOS - Apple Support (IN)
  6. Jailbreak: Now, let's talk about jailbreaking. Jailbreaking removes Apple's restrictions, allowing for more customization and app installation outside the App Store. However, it can also lead to instability, security vulnerabilities, and issues receiving future iOS updates.

By considering all these possibilities, you've provided a comprehensive approach to troubleshooting the iPhone's behavior.

Understanding and addressing these factors can help you maintain the optimal performance and longevity of their iPhones. Following Apple's guidelines and seeking authorized support when needed are crucial for a positive user experience.

Mar 30, 2024 11:48 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

Apple should focus on the software problem FIRST as the main priority rather than rushing to come out with new models of IPhone and creating new designs. First thing first, maintain your software stable and good performance in order to retain your loyal customers!

This is a community forum where Apple users come together to share tips on Apple devices and troubleshoot issues within the boundaries of the Apple ecosystem**.

Here, you can:

• Dive into meaningful discussions: Get insights, share your experiences, and learn from fellow Apple enthusiasts about Apple products
  • Unlock the potential of your devices: Discover hidden features, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your iPhone, Mac, or any other Apple product.
  • Tap into a wealth of knowledge: Our community is full of Apple experts who are happy to share their wisdom and help you navigate the Apple ecosystem**.

Apple moderates the forum to ensure a friendly and productive environment, but the real magic happens through user-to-user interaction. So, feel free to explore existing discussions, ask questions, and contribute your own expertise on Apple Products.

** The Apple ecosystem refers to the interconnected world of Apple devices and services. This includes all their hardware, from iPhones and iPads to Macs and Apple Watches, iCloud along with their software and online platforms. You may refer to the list below.

Please note that this is a public forum, so when attaching a screenshot, please avoid including any personal credentials such as IP addresses, card details, email IDs, Apple IDs, IMEI numbers, serial numbers, phone numbers, order IDs, invoices, or any identifiable location information if you are sharing a map.

Hence, some of the following links which are relevant to your query may help you:

1. Questions directed to Apple Inc - refer to the three links below
    1. Product Feedback - Apple
    2. Feedback - Weather - Apple
    3. Maps Report an Issue & Privacy - Apple Support & Report a problem with Maps on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Hardware repairs & tickets - Apple Authorized Service Provider
  3. Service grievances & questions --> Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support
  4. Warranty & Apple Care+ issues --> Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  5. Order & Transaction related information -->
    1. Order Status - Shopping Help
    2. Viewing & Changing Orders - Shopping Help
    3. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple
  6. Suggestions and Feedback for improvements --> Apple Inc says; "We read all feedback carefully, but we are unable to respond to each submission individually."
    1. Here is how for iPhone · Country or region* Select your country or region. · Feedback Type* Select feedback type. · Comments* Enter a comment.
    2. Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  7. Shipping & Transportation queries - Shipping & Pickup - Shopping Help - Apple
  8. Repair costs or product or prices of part service & replacement -
    1. iPhone Repair and Service - Apple Support (IN)
    2. iPhone Screen Repair & Replacement
    3. iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement
  9. Product & Launch Detail etc.. --> Apple
  10. Third-party apps and their behavior - How to contact an app developer - Apple Support
  11. Any other issue --> Contact – Official Apple Support (IN) & Contact Apple for support and service

Apr 13, 2024 11:15 AM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

I spent hours yesterday and today trying to fix the issues. Finally, Apple Store told me I had to pay $500 to fix a broken antenna. NOPE. I stormed off and went home prepared to love life without a properly working phone. Then I decided to upload to the cloud, reset my phone and then download from the cloud, treating it like a new phone. It worked as far as I can tell!! Try this if you haven’t already!

Mar 30, 2024 11:51 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

and after updated to the IOS (since left with no choice),

Was your device Jailbroken? If that's the situation, please be informed that attributing the issues to iOS updates may not be accurate.

I have been updating my devices ever since I bought my first device in 2009. iPhone 3Gs, 4S, 5, 6, SE (1st Gen), 7, 8 and iPhone 12 Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone 13, Macbook Air 2019, MacBook Pro 16"

I never had any issues with any iOS, iPadOS, or macOS updates to date.

I would personally recommend everyone update their devices instead of listening to rumors from people who may not have kept their devices free from any spurious software.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed them on your device or/and have Jailbroken

Mar 30, 2024 11:44 PM in response to Kittyhappysaysmeow

It's not always the iOS update's fault!  Many things can cause phone problems.  If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix or find a solution for the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution!

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. The majority of the issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

New IOS 17.4.1 after downloaded iPhone faces many problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.