Apple Devices on Windows 10 crashes while Syncing Music on to iPhone

iTunes on Windows is being replaced with Apple Music, Apple Devices, and Apple TV. Apple Devices crashes after syncing about three or four hundred songs to my iPhone. I have about four thousand songs so this will take forever. How can this be addressed?

Windows

Posted on Mar 30, 2024 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2024 3:16 PM

I am having the same issue. I've been working successfully with Apple Music as a replacement for iTunes since the announcement several months ago that iTunes for Windows was going away. Up until several days ago, one of the things that I appreciated about Apple Music for Windows 10 was that syncing music to my iPhone/iPod was completely problem free, which was a huge improvement over iTunes, which would on random occasions get stuck mid-sync.

I have been trying for 2 days to sync about 30 GB of audio from my Apple Music Library on my Windows PC. Sometimes I get 10% of the way through, one time I got to about 80% complete, but have not been able to successfully complete my sync without Apple Devices shutting down.

I have reset the Apple Devices app on my PC. I have verified my cable and my ports. Short of wiping and reinstalling everything I'm at a loss as to how to fix this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2024 3:16 PM in response to byushi_doran

I am having the same issue. I've been working successfully with Apple Music as a replacement for iTunes since the announcement several months ago that iTunes for Windows was going away. Up until several days ago, one of the things that I appreciated about Apple Music for Windows 10 was that syncing music to my iPhone/iPod was completely problem free, which was a huge improvement over iTunes, which would on random occasions get stuck mid-sync.

I have been trying for 2 days to sync about 30 GB of audio from my Apple Music Library on my Windows PC. Sometimes I get 10% of the way through, one time I got to about 80% complete, but have not been able to successfully complete my sync without Apple Devices shutting down.

I have reset the Apple Devices app on my PC. I have verified my cable and my ports. Short of wiping and reinstalling everything I'm at a loss as to how to fix this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Apr 4, 2024 6:33 PM in response to byushi_doran

I am having same issue since installing "Apple Devices" which I really don't like at the moment. It TRIES to act like iTunes (never had a single issue using iTunes until Apple decided they don't want to support it anymore), but just doesn't cut it!!! I'm so sick of added "features" and other patches and upgrades. When I installed "Apple Devices" on my Windows 10 PC and then connected my iphone to the PC, it stated that I needed to upgrade my iOS to 17.4.1 (which I already had installed/upgraded previously) and I have been unable to synch my music playlist. I recently purchased an album and want to synch it to my phone for Apple Music (which I also am not pleased with - unable to browse artists/albums by starting to type their names and it usually jumps to that section - say I wanted to listen to The Police - I was able to select artists in iTunes, start typing "poli..." and it would jump to The Police.) Now I have to scroll all the way down either using my mousewheel, or the slider bars - and I have a LOT of music with band names that start way before the "P's". An annoyance, but overlookable.

What really steams my beans, is that I purchased an album specifically to put in "Apple Music" so I could listen to it in my car. NOT!!!! I think I will invest in something other than apple - MusicBee(?)

Apr 5, 2024 8:02 AM in response to Cfoster3448

I am having the same problem with Apple Devices not identifying the actual IOS on my iPhone (like poster Cfoster 3448 Apple Devices tells me I need to update to 17.4.1 when my phone says that's what it is running).

I was finally able to successfully sync a playlist to both my iPhone and my iPod Touch by paring the playlist down to about 10GB of audio. I should be thankful...at least now Apple Devices finishes the job it starts.

It is evident over the course of the last few weeks that Apple is, in its own way, trying to tweak Apple Music for Windows to make it perform more like iTunes. For example, when I first converted over from iTunes, to import audio files into my library, I had to select each file for import; a few days ago I noticed that I now have the option to add a folder. That's an improvement - thank you. I also appreciate (and this is huge for me) the ability to stream lossless audio on my Windows PC from Apple Music that until recently I could only do on my Apple device.

A welcome improvement would be for Apple Music to include a function to play/extract audio from audio CDs. iTunes could do it; Apple Music cannot. Along with that is the iTunes ability to convert homemade audio files into AAC or ALAC has disappeared.

Another thing that iTunes did well that Apple Music does not at all is display libraries like spreadsheets. This made tag editing very easy, and also made it easy for a user to see if an error had been made in library management, because iTunes could display album and track counts in ways that Apple Music doesn't. In Apple Music, I have yet to find a way to see how many albums I have in my library. I know I can see how many albums are tagged with either the same genre or artist, but neither of those are practical options for the whole library (especially for us geezers who have large libraries).

Long story short, with iTunes, I had a tool that, for library management purposes, was nearly self-sufficient. Without iTunes I have to use three other applications to do efficiently .

[Edited by Moderator]

May 20, 2024 11:52 AM in response to Drm2743

I was able to sync my whole library through restarting the sync 5-6 times (somewhat about 3k songs to sync).

It is extremely regrettable that Apple seems to have little interest in delivering at least usable software for Windows. In their current state, the new programs are worse than iTunes, which had a lot of room for improvement, especially in terms of UX.

May 20, 2024 2:27 PM in response to wobintosh

Screw Apple Music/Devices/TV - they are shoddy at best as far as "working" properly and missing basic functions that iTunes had built-in from the beginning of iTunes. I really miss the "CoverFlow" view that they axed. Copyright blah blah... anyway, here is what I did to get iTunes back with all of my library, playlists, album artwork intact and functioning like the good-ol' iTunes we have grown to love(?).

1) created a restore point twice with two unique different names (probably not necessary - one is probably enough)

2) uninstalled Apple "Music", "Devices" (I didn't have TV installed)

3) rebooted/restarted Windows

4) **Not sure if this is necessary - but I did a Windows disk cleanup and rebooted again

5) Downloaded and installed the latest iTunes (version 12.13.2.3) (which is still available for download and was just updated today).

6) iTunes pulled all of my music/audio/album(s) tracks and playlists back in (including album art, mp3tags, etc.) and were available and working just like it did before Apple Music infected my system.

There was only one album that it couldn't find the tracks to, which was a recent purchase I made on Apple/iTunes store - easy fix, just selected "Locate tracks" when it couldn't find the first track of the album. Everything else was available and working properly. Haven't tried syncing my phone yet - that may be another dilemma to deal with. Wish me luck!

May 28, 2024 2:26 PM in response to Drm2743

Just a quick update on my end; I have slowly and painfully chipped away at my 18,300 songs, and am currently at about 2200 left to go. I had a day where I was doing a lot of relatively mindless tasks at my desk, so I called in a support case while I was repetitively launching sync attempts, and have progressed on the case to where I will be speaking with an engineer tomorrow as the support manager saw what was happening and escalated it accordingly.

It was literally dozens of sync attempts yesterday, with my best/most productive getting something like 1150 songs synced, and the mean was around 200 songs at a time. You can do the math, I'm just tired of it. :-s

Basically, it seems to time out/reach some sort of data transfer limit and just completely hiccups out of the application. No error message, no status code, and Apple Devices is no longer visible or traceable on my PC.

Anyway, if any random Apple engineers are checking in on this, it is not a setup issue, it is not a network issue, it is a bug. You should probably try to fix it. (And thanks to the support staff who moved my request fairly painlessly and quickly through their requisite layers of checks and balances.)

May 31, 2024 10:16 AM in response to wbhern

wbhern,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to elevate this issue with Apple. It's really puzzling that the Apple Devices shutdown events are so (apparently) random ... there are rare occasions when I have no problems at all with either my phone or iPod; at other times the shutdown event happens near the beginning or middle or end of the sync.

Good luck & thanks again.

May 28, 2024 11:13 AM in response to wbhern

I continue to have issues with either my iPod Touch or my iPhone SE (right now Windows 10 likes my phone better than the iPod). The only way I have successfully completed a sync is to keep the size relatively small (6-10 GB of data) and be prepared to restart the sync process multiple times. Yesterday it took Apple Devices 4 attempts to complete syncing about 370 songs.

If this is happening with Windows 11 users as well (I had held out hope that it was just us 10 holdouts that were dealing with this problem), then Apple needs to own their products & services and make them work properly. For everyone that pays for them, not just Mac users.

May 30, 2024 9:52 PM in response to byushi_doran

Hello!

I tried to transfer around 2.7k songs in my library and Apple Music just doesn’t work. Always crashes at different moments.

To fix this I just downloaded an old version of iTunes (I think that is 12.13.2.3). You can find the file by just searching it in Google.

By using this version of iTunes, I finally managed to transfer all my music.

Jun 7, 2024 1:52 PM in response to byushi_doran

Syncing music to iPhone has always been a joke (missed songs, have to reset the sync 5 times for it to catch what it needs to sync) but now the crashing has made it even worse. I know Apple's market isn't People With Their Own Libraries but it'd be nice to know the thousands I spend can at least beget me a music app that actually works.

Jun 14, 2024 7:12 AM in response to byushi_doran

SOLVED: Downgrade iTunes to 12.13.3 Most iPhone users likely streaming or buying music from Apple. Uploading hundreds of music files from physical audio on to your iphone may not be a task the new Apple Devices app is able to do on a Windows computer.

iTunes 12.12.3 running on Windows 10 was still more than cappable of pulling music from a CD and syncronizing thousands of songs to my iphone 15 Pro Max that was running 17.5.1

Apple Devices on Windows 10 crashes while Syncing Music on to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.