Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

iPad ssh sending syn then immediate rst

I have a home lab and am trying to access it from my iPad. The connection between my iPad and server goes first to a Verizon FIOS router through Wi-Fi then to a hard wired Cisco 1941 router then to a Cisco 3560 switch and on to my Dell Poweredge. From that switch Ive seen in packet captures that, during ssh negotiation, the iPad is sending a SYN followed immediately (less than .05 seconds) by a RST packet. It does that several times before eventually timing out. My iPad can get to the internet, so can everything connected to that switch. I can also ssh successfully to the same server from a desktop connected to the same switch. I am a network engineer by trade and, as I can see this traffic on my switch, I do not suspect there is a problem in the network devices. What I need to know is why the iPad would send that RST without waiting for a response? This has worked in the past and my only change was from a Netgear router to the Verizon one, but this stopped working before that change.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 9:56 AM

4 replies

Apr 3, 2024 10:20 AM in response to danieljohnlucas

Curious.

Since updating to iOS/iPadOS 17.4.x, I too have noticed frequent outgoing packets being blocked/dropped by my Router's firewall - a sample of the most frequent being:

• First packet in connection is not a SYN packet
  • Packet invalid in connection (Packet not in tcp window
  • ICMP replay (ICMP type 3 code 3
  • Packet invalid in connection (tcp reset attack is suspected

Other than a particular issue affecting WiFi Calling to/from iPad (specifically, one way audio), I'm not experiencing any obvious connectivity issues.

iPad ssh sending syn then immediate rst

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.