iMac Pro Sonoma 14.4.1 Mouse Pointer stops and jumps all the time

As the title says, this pointer jumping has been a problem for years, on current and earlier OSX versions. The pointer always stops and jumps every 5 to 7 seconds or so. making it for very annoying experiences using softwares like Logic Pro or Final Cut Pro. Any solutions for this? I have tried pretty much everything and all toggle configurations and options known to men under system settings. Nothing works. It must be some deep plist file or a hardware issue. I don't have this problem when using the exact same magic mouse with my 2019 Macbook Pro with the same OS version. Only on my iMac Pro. Please show me the light.

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 11:56 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 5, 2024 12:26 PM in response to KEForex

1) Try cleaning the sensor on the bottom of the mouse.

2) Test using a non-glossy solid colored black, blue or gray mouse pad.

3) Test using a different wireless or USB mouse. (most any USB Logitech or PC mouse will work)

4) Re-arrange your setup so that USB cables, drives and other device are not near or in-between the Mouse and iMac.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Apr 5, 2024 4:50 PM in response to KEForex

KEForex wrote:

I tried disconnecting the USB cables I had plugged in, the issue continues.

The Logitech mouses I've tested used a USB dongle to work. I am back now to having just the magic mouse connected, and even when turning off the apple keyboard and using just the mouse as a test, the cursor still stops and then jumps.

I have also tested with an old apple USB mouse and the pointer has the same behavior.

OK thank you. That pretty much rules out USB interference.

I'm thinking it could be something to do with the screen resolution - even though it's at the default/recommended setting. This has been happening for a long time, I'm just to the point of not wanting to deal with it anymore as it's very annoying when trying to work with Logic or any other software. I'm not sure how to insert a video here (other than a YT link) otherwise I'd record the screen showing this pointer jumping.

Which now points more toward a un-responsive process or a resource problem.

What you need to find out, is get and run EtreCheckPro on your iMac. https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

Then post the EtreCheckPro Report, as per > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Apr 5, 2024 3:44 PM in response to den.thed

I tried disconnecting the USB cables I had plugged in, the issue continues.

The Logitech mouses I've tested used a USB dongle to work. I am back now to having just the magic mouse connected, and even when turning off the apple keyboard and using just the mouse as a test, the cursor still stops and then jumps.

I have also tested with an old apple USB mouse and the pointer has the same behavior. I'm thinking it could be something to do with the screen resolution - even though it's at the default/recommended setting. This has been happening for a long time, I'm just to the point of not wanting to deal with it anymore as it's very annoying when trying to work with Logic or any other software. I'm not sure how to insert a video here (other than a YT link) otherwise I'd record the screen showing this pointer jumping.

iMac Pro Sonoma 14.4.1 Mouse Pointer stops and jumps all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.