Serial number says invalid on settlement form

I have an apple 6 that qualifies for the settlement re battery issue but on the claim form it says the serial number is invalid. Why what is going on?

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2024 12:39 PM

I am having the exact same problem with the settlement form. Checking my device at apple.com shows no problem. It recognizes the number and knows the date purchased. Any idea what I should do next?

I wonder if this is something that will be corrected in time, since it's early yet.

25 replies

Apr 20, 2024 4:13 PM in response to kathlene210

I have both a SE Second series and a Six Plus.

I have entered both serial numbers using O's and I's but also 0's and 1's. Neither is eligible according to the Canadian iPhone Power Management Class Action. I used the numbers off the boxes but haven't checked the actual phones.

I have emailed as per the Class Action page twice (April 5 and 16) and have not received a response. Surely we must be able to find out why.

Apr 20, 2024 4:35 PM in response to WConn

WConn wrote:

I have both a SE Second series and a Six Plus.
I have entered both serial numbers using O's and I's but also 0's and 1's. Neither is eligible according to the Canadian iPhone Power Management Class Action. I used the numbers off the boxes but haven't checked the actual phones.
I have emailed as per the Class Action page twice (April 5 and 16) and have not received a response. Surely we must be able to find out why.

Did you buy a phone in Canada that was distributed by Apple Canada?

Since the class action involved Apple Canada, perhaps the scope of the settlement is implicitly limited to phones sold and purchased in Canada.

Apr 26, 2024 11:53 AM in response to kathlene210

I ran into the same problem with my 6S (which I still own). I checked the serial number reported by the Settings App on the phone using Apple's website and it said purchased in November 2015 but the claims site says the device is not eligible. I then compared it to the serial number on the box, which was different. Using the serial number on the box allowed me to file a claim however.

When I check the original serial number from the box on Apple's website it says it is for a device that has been replaced. So I guess the phone's internal serial number was changed when Apple replaced the battery in my original phone? If you can track down the serial number on the box or on receipt that might be more successful than relying on what the phone software is reporting.

Serial number says invalid on settlement form

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.