Time machine restored Photos system library not syncing with iCloud

After restoring the default/system Photos library on my Mac (Ventura 13.6.4) the Photos library (Photos Library.photoslibrary) is not syncing with iCloud. Other devices on this iCloud account are. All previous photos are there except those taken on the iPhone after the date on the Time Machine restored version.

When I attempt to make it the System Photos Library, a dialog says "Switching the System Photo Library will turn off iCloud Photos." I cancelled process.

I then went to Mac Settings and "apps using iCloud" setting for Photos is on. I'm considering turning it off then trying set the system library in Photos and then turning on iCloud in System settings.

Is this the right thing to try?

It took several attempts to restore the library and many hours so I really don't want to make the wrong decision.

thanks... John

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 2:59 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 16, 2024 11:15 AM in response to John Mather

In case anyone is reading or cares...

I attempted to set the Time Machine restored library (Photos Library.photoslibrary) as the system library per Photos Settings. I said OK to the dialog mentioned above.(Switching the System Photo Library will turn off iCloud Photos.) The dialog disappeared and the spinning pizza immediately appeared. Since my library is so large I let it go for several days hoping that it would just take time.

It took so long I had to Force Quit Photos since my Mac was so slowed down as to be nearly useless. (I am using Ethernet to my router. My max DSL speed is 25Mbps.

Maybe I should try turn off iCloud Photos in the System Settings and then setting the System Photos Library The attempting to make the change inPhotos settings.

So now I'm very very stuck.

iCloud Photos is working fine and normally on my iPhone & iPad.

I have purchased a new Mac Mini that will come in a week or so. This old Mac has to be replaced before it gets worse or becomes unusable.

Absolutely any suggestion would be very helpful. At this point I'd try anything.

BTW I took the precaution to download all the photos in the iCloud photos.

Time machine restored Photos system library not syncing with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.