SanDisk memory cards not recognised since upgrade to Sonoma 14.4.1

Have been using SanDisk memory cards in my cameras for years and have connected them to my iMac using a Lexar UDMA CompactFlash SD Reader (USB 2.0). They have always appeared in Finder under Locations. I did usually get a message saying that the disk cannot be formatted but they have always worked.

Since upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1 they are no longer recognised. I can see the disks being read (light on the front of the Lexar device flashes a few times) but they never appear in Finder and there is no warning message.

This is very frustrating as it's the only way i have of getting my photos from the cards onto my iMac. Please help with a solution as soon as possible.

Many thanks

iMac 24″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 6:11 AM

8 replies

Apr 12, 2024 5:59 AM in response to Confused_IOS_User

I don't think this is an issue with your cards. I have a hard drive that has always been plugged into my MacBook Pro (Apple M1, 2021); since upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1, not only has it been temperamental in terms of recognizing the drive, but Finder has decided it's also only going to work when it wants to.

When I thought it might have been a problem with the drive, I plugged it into an older MacBook Pro, and it was recognized just fine. I also ran Disk Utility's First Aid on the drive, and there weren't any issues with the drive.

Apr 12, 2024 7:18 AM in response to CourtneyRider

CourtneyRider wrote:

I don't think this is an issue with your cards. I have a hard drive that has always been plugged into my MacBook Pro (Apple M1, 2021); since upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1, not only has it been temperamental in terms of recognizing the drive, but Finder has decided it's also only going to work when it wants to.

When I thought it might have been a problem with the drive, I plugged it into an older MacBook Pro, and it was recognized just fine. I also ran Disk Utility's First Aid on the drive, and there weren't any issues with the drive.

Most intersting

Running 1 M1, 1 M2 and 1 M3 computers all with Sonoma 14.4.1

Using various External Drives Rotational Types to several SSD Type drives.

Some connected vis USB-A to USB-C adapters, some via USB-C to USB-C and Directly connected to the computers

ALL drive formatted in either HFS Journaled / GUID or APFS / GUID formats

Mine, 7 - 8 drives exhibit none of these issue what so ever.

Apr 12, 2024 8:03 AM in response to Confused_IOS_User

**** Resolved ****

April 12 2024.

Card formatted to both Windows and Apple format but the Camera will not recognise either. So, now i have to connect the camera to the Mac via USB (which has never worked before) to download photos. In order to get the communication between the camera and the Mac via USB it needed some software from the camera manufacturer. Once the software had been installed everything worked!!

Guessing things move on and processes have to change. would of been nice to know!!!!

SanDisk memory cards not recognised since upgrade to Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.