(late 2012 iMac) Black Screen 21,5"

Hello,

I've tried to change the HDD of this iMac to an SSD and also cleaned it, after i was done (i fully disassembled it and cleaned it with compressed air) I've noticed that i have broken the display ribbon cable which I have later replaced, but the Mac still wouldn't show me any picture, then I connected it to an external display where it posted after like 4 minutes, i got into the EFI installed Windows10 then when it was time for the GPU drivers the picture just died, nothing was on the external display. I thought maybe it hated windows or something so i started installing MacOS, which I haven't finished yet. But it still wasn't displaying to its own screen, even after reconnecting it many times, it only displays to an external display, what could be the problem? I live in Hungary where iMacs aren't really popular so there's no nearby repair shop (I gave it to one, but they didn't even know how to disassemble it) The reason I tried to install Windows and MacOS that maybe they will see the iMacs own display.

As I know it the display is not damaged, and the iMac still functions as normal, although the fan is really loud but I think its cause of no OS

Specs of this machine:

-i5-3330S

-GT640EM

(I also don't really know how Macs work I've always been a Windows and Samsung user, I just got this Mac as a gift from my grandma's friend)

Thank you for any of your suggestions!

Regards: D.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 14, 2024 8:05 AM

Similar questions

22 replies

Apr 14, 2024 12:30 PM in response to DavidJms

Sorry, APFS is Apple's new File System, won't work on your older Mac.

Windows Win key = Mac CMD key or ⌘ 

Windows alt key = Mac Option key or ⌥, also called alt key on Mac sometimes.

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS utilitRecovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R... Alt+r on Win KB.

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R... Windows+Alt+r on Win KB.

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R... SHIFT+Windows+Alt+r on Win KB.

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Of course you may need to make a USB installer...

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support...

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 14, 2024 11:20 AM in response to DavidJms

David, I haven't seen an inordinate amount of failures o that card in Macs, but I do hold my breath when I hear Nvidia.

Does it bot to Restore Mode???

Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

APFS won't work for Sierra or earlier, Sierra or earlier needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

Yes, the fans running full speed is a failsafe for when the OS is not checking heat.

Apr 16, 2024 6:36 AM in response to BDAqua

MacOS is still installing, but when and it doesnt seem like its gonna install anytime soon, maybe I'll have to make a bootable usb cause the OS X downloader EFI doesnt work for me... But after MacOS installs, should I connect the internal screen while still being plugged into the external screen so if I go to this menu it might say that the is two display (the internal and the extrenal)?

(late 2012 iMac) Black Screen 21,5"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.