Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to connect iPadOS 17.4.1 to Image Capture on iMac

I have a new iPad OS 17.4.1, and I would like to link it to Image Capture on my iMac. It does not show as a Device, is this an issue? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 9:28 AM

10 replies

Apr 18, 2024 9:23 AM in response to Phil0124

The first picture shows you exactly what I see with Image Capture, as you can see the iPad does not show as an available device.

So No I do Not get the "Allow this device to connect" prompt.

iPad appearing in Finder, not quite sure what this refers to.

Its a brand new iPad and only connects to my Mac by Wi-Fi, and not by a USB cable.

The second picture is of my Bluetooth Preferences Control Panel, as you can clearly see from this.

My iPad shows up as a 'Connected Device, its Barry's iPad.

So my Mac does recognise that my iPad is connected to it.

So where do I go from here?

Apr 19, 2024 2:10 AM in response to CrossMac48

Presumably your Mac only has the older type USB Type-A ports.

To connect an iPad (or other device with a USB-C connection) you simply require a USB-C to USB3 Type-A cable:

These are readily available from good computer stores - and online. Choose a good quality "branded" cable from a reputable manufacturer (e.g., UGreen, Belkin etc.).

Be aware that USB-C cables contain active electronics that protect both the cable and connected devices from incorrect connection. You should avoid simple USB plug adapters; while these are available, they are not USB-C certified - as they both lack the active electronics and may introduce incorrect connection between devices leading to potential damage. The correct cable is relatively cheap when compared to the repair cost of a damaged iPad or Mac computer.

Apr 19, 2024 6:23 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for the info. From my online enquires the cable is supposed, to be a better option than the adapter technically.

Personally I prefer to avoid Amazon, and wherever possible shop locally. 

I got a Belkin USB A to USB C cable today from Currys.

The cable working perfectly and as this picture shows, my iPad now shows up in Image Capture.

Which also allows me to select the iPad as a camera.

Apr 18, 2024 6:19 PM in response to Phil0124

Yes you've got it, this iPad comes with a USB C cable. 

That doesn't plug into my iMac, so much for Apple connectivity of its hardware.

And software which is why I have to use Wi-Fi to link, my Apple hardware products together.

If you’re right then I will have to obtain an, adaptor to connect the iPad to my iPad.

Which is a common situation with Apple, provide only the bare minimum with their hardware products.

Fail to provide the basics to ensure ease of use, and leave the customer to locate the necessary component.

How to connect iPadOS 17.4.1 to Image Capture on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.