iMac crashes during sleeep

I have a 7 year old iMac with the following specifications:

Retina 4K, 21.5 inch Display, 2017

Processor 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Graphics Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

It has a 500 GB SSD Internal HDD

I have installed macOS Ventura 13.6.6

In the past few days I have had difficulty with my iMac not waking up from Sleep Mode, this happens infrequently and the longer the iMac has been sleeping the more likely that this will occur.

I have also had trouble starting the iMac with the Power Button, it can take several attempts to finally get it booted up and running.

When the iMac is in usage there are no noticeable problems.

I have tried using the following remedial measures:

Reset VRAM

Reset SMC/PMU

Unplugged ALL devices attached/connected to the iMac and unplugged the iMac from the power supply for 10 to 15 minutes before restarting with NOTHING connected to it at all.

I have run the Apple Diagnostics Tool, which did not find any hardware issues or other technical problems.

I have made a bootable installer USB Drive using macOS Ventura 13.6.6 and used this to completely erase my iMac and perform a fresh clean install of the operating system.

I left the iMac in its unmodified "virginal" state with no apps installed(only default macOS apps) and made absolutely ZERO changes to its configuration.

Yet despite doing all this my problems persist.

I fully know my iMac is getting long in the tooth at approximately 7 years of age.

If a repair or replacement of a component can be done at a reasonable cost, I would strongly consider that option as I would like to keep it alive for a while longer. My financial situation means I need more to time to save enough funds for a replacement.

I do hope this aging desktop iMac can be saved.

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 8:29 PM

Similar questions

34 replies

Apr 16, 2024 8:21 AM in response to jputting

You can pretty safely rule out a major hardware issue if the Apple Diagnostics Test came back ADP000.

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

EtreCheckPro is a good test for to look for software and other issues.

To download EtreCheckPro, go to > https://etrecheck.com/en/index.html

To post the Report, see > How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

At this point, I suggest resetting the 2017 Intel iMac's the SMC and NVRAM.

as per > Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

and > Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Then startup in Safe Mode followed by a normal restart and test.

see > Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 15, 2024 8:51 PM in response to jputting

A lot of folks are having to change their old habits after installing Ventura and/or Sonoma.

As a test:

Turn on "Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off" and only allow the display to turn off.

Leave the Mac ON and only allow the display to turn OFF during the day, then shut down for longer periods of non-use and over night.

Apr 15, 2024 10:21 PM in response to jputting

In my not-so-humble-opinion, replacing a Mac for Sonoma, or worse, Apple ooh-aah Mx spec boasts, is a total waste of money. In real terms, it’s hardly a game changer (unless you think faster startup is a big deal). In fact, in some ways Mx CPUs are actually a step backward, specifically WiFi, where Intel Macs are far better, also faster with WiFi.

I would save for a new Mac, yes, but for 2030 - by which time, prices should be at a point where your saving’s interest alone pays for most of it.

Update please in 2030 and let’s take a vote then. Cheers 🍻

Apr 16, 2024 4:43 AM in response to hcsitas

I am sorry to say my iMac is still acting strangely.

I followed all your advice about disabling sleep, but another problem still persists.

I was going out for a few hours today and decided to shut down my iMac, after 3 hours I returned and decided to start my iMac for some internet browsing.

I pressed the power button on the back of the iMac and nothing at happened, after a minute or two I tried again and still nothing. Finally after about 8 to 9 attempts to start my iMac by pressing the power button, I finally got it started.

I am now concerned there is something seriously wrong with my iMac, I have run the Apple Diagnostics Tool and it reported everything was fine.

I have also contacted Apple's Technical Support and went over everything I have tried to fix this.

The Apple Technical Support stated my remedial measures detailed in a previous post were correctly performed, they were not able to find fault with anything I had done. They conceded that I have exhausted all possible standard self-help measures which fix common iMac issues.

As they were NOT able to help, they simply advised taking my iMac to an Authorized Apple Repairer.

I don't know what to do to fix this and it is now reaching the point where I am afraid to shut my iMac down as I am worried I will not be able to get it started again.

I feel as though my iMac is dying and I can not afford a new iMac just yet as I have only saved 3/4 of the cost of a new iMac and Apple's Australian website states my 7 year old iMac has ZERO trade in value.

I have the Problem Report for macOS which was created when I finally got my iMac restarted, I posted it here in full.

Is there anybody whom can analyse that report and very, very simply explain in lay mans terms what it states.

If nobody here can understand the full detail of the report, where can I post it to get a free full explanation of what is in it.

I desperately need help to keep my iMac alive for a while longer, so I can finally get the remaining funds together for a new iMac, I would very much prefer to try and extend the life of this iMac for good while yet.

Apr 18, 2024 8:19 AM in response to hcsitas

Apple accepts PayPal for App Store and iTune Purchases, but they are being stubborn as they simply will not accept it for hardware sales.

The reason is the consumer financing offered by Apple generates more profits for them.

It involves you applying for Credit Card and a line of credit and you will end up paying more for your hardware, there are many pitfalls attached to Credit Cards in their fees and interest rates.

They seemingly fail to acknowledge they would sell more entry level iMacs if people could use PayPal's "Pay in 4".

I have used PayPal's "Pay in 4" several times with NO fees, interest or extra costs and more importantly no big reductions to my bank balance. I have replaced several big ticket household items and kept 100% of my bank balance intact.

Apr 19, 2024 8:03 AM in response to BDAqua

I always get the AppleCare with a new iMac, I understand I have 60 days from the purchase date to get this.

I have carefully gone over my budget and will have just enough time to repay my relative and enough time to get the AppleCare within the 60 day timeframe.

So glad that soon this will all be behind me, I am desperately hoping this iMac doesn't develop anymore problems in the next week.

Looking forward to having a larger display, the new M3 chip model should perform better than my existing iMac which doesn't support Sonoma because of its specifications and age. The keyboard with TouchID should improve its security. Hopefully one day facial recognition will be part of iMac's design.

Apr 17, 2024 3:56 AM in response to hcsitas

For the record here is EtreCheck Pro and it found evidence of kernel panics which they state could possibly be a sign of hardware failure.

However the Apple Diagnostics Tool gives me the all clear, unless something is being missed by Apples Diagnostic Tool.

So does anyone know about kernel panics and what causes them, how to prevent them etc and how to fix this.

Apr 15, 2024 9:05 PM in response to den.thed

Yup, those old habits are of no use in today’s world of SSDs and under-a-minute startups. The faster one drops them, the better. This problem is wholly an old habit issue, not macOS.

Are you still manual-sleeping hot corners and all, hanging on to same old, same old hoping it ain’t so? Don’t, nothing to be gained…

…you’re welcome 😉

Apr 15, 2024 9:09 PM in response to den.thed

I am using macOS Ventura 13.6.6 and do not have this "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off.

For a very long time I have simply used the key combo of option+command+eject to put my iMac to sleep overnight and have never had problems before.

However I will follow your advice and allow the display to turn OFF during the day when not in use and shut down the iMac at bedtime.

If this is a change introduced by the last update to macOS Ventura 13.6.6 then it will be unpopular with many iMac users.

This has caused me a great deal of alarm and stress, I have been terribly worried that my 7 year old iMac was failing and I haven't quite accrued the needed funds to purchase the latest iMac with the M3 Chip.

If my iMac survives a few more months everything will be alright and I will have the funds for a new iMac.

Apr 15, 2024 10:07 PM in response to hcsitas

I will see how things go, hopefully this will fix this.

I would like to get a new iMac as my current model is 7 years old and doesn't have the required specifications for running Sonoma.

I am sure a new iMac with an M3 chip would have give me a big performance improvement, the performance of an M3 chip would leave my current iMac in the dust.

I have accrued 3/4 of the needed funds for a new iMac, then something like this happens!!!!!!!!!,

I only need a few more months to accrue the remainder of the needed funds.

I was hoping to get some financial credit by using my iMac as a trade in. To my dismay the official Australian Apple website states my 7 year old iMac has NO trade in value and is only eligible for their recycling program. that would have helped greatly with the cost of a new iMac.

I am hoping your advice fixes this issue and I can keep using my current iMac for the time I need to get the needed funds.

iMac crashes during sleeep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.