Early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" installing SSD and High Sierra problems

So about a year ago I bought a used Early 2011 Macbook Pro 13". Last month I finally got around to installing a Samsung 870 EVO 1 TB SSD. I made a bootable USB installer of High Sierra, everything went smoothly. Although I didn't know about TRIM at the time. I started installing a bunch of audio software, VSTs, sample libraries, etc. Very suddenly after about 2 weeks, I started getting constant beach balling. I tried a bunch of different things, resetting the PRAM and others. Nothing seemed to work. Then I read about how other people had issues with that same drive and there being a bad batch. I sent it back to Samsung, they updated the firmware and tested it and said there were no problems and send it back to me. I re-installed it and have tried to install High Sierra with no luck from the same USB boot thumb drive. 2 different times it said that it was going to take 8-10 hours, I let it go overnight and when I woke up in the morning it had failed to install. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 10:14 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 16, 2024 8:04 PM in response to Tines2

I believe the Samsung EVO SSDs have had compatibility issues with some Macs (from reading the forums for some years).

Sometimes the internal hard drive SATA cable is not able to handle an SSD and may need to be replaced.

I would first connect the Samsung EVO SSD externally using a good USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure to see if you have the same issues. If you have the same issue with the SSD connected externally, then it most likely means the SSD has a hardware issue (depends on the device you use to connect the SSD). If the SSD works externally, then either the internal hard drive SATA cable is bad, or the SSD is not compatible with that laptop when installed internally. I guess since you bought this laptop used, that maybe the Logic Board has a hardware issue of some sort.

For a USB to SATA Adapter, I would recommend this one (works great and even supports UASP):

https://tripplite.eaton.com/usb-3-0-superspeed-sata-iii-adapter-cable-uasp-2-5in-3-5in-sata-black~U33806NSATAB

For a drive dock or enclosure, Plugable, StarTech, and OWC are good options.

Apr 19, 2024 12:32 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you! I plugged in the new Samsung SSD via a SATA to USB cable and was able to install High Sierra onto it that way and I restarted it and it worked fine being plugged in via USB external. I opened the laptop back up and switched it to internal and for a moment I got the hard drive not found screen, but then it booted up. Now it's beach balling again. The original mechanical drive works fine when reinstalled. So, I'm guessing I need a new cable. I just ordered it from amazon.

Early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" installing SSD and High Sierra problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.