Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to fix crashing issue on MacBook M3 MAX, GB, Sonoma 14.4.1

MacBook M3 MAX, 128 GB, Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) Crashes all the time and reboots with no warning

Is there a fix for this problem? It is a big problem for my work.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 12:19 AM

11 replies

Apr 23, 2024 12:32 AM in response to Joost-02-03

"MacBook M3 MAX, 128 GB, Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) Crashes all the time and reboots with no warning: Is there a fix for this problem? It is a big problem for my work."

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac in a Boot Loop:

Being continuous, it seems there is an error in the caches. So, refer to the following...

A. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only): Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

C. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . You need to click the “Mount’ button to proceed. So, select the drives, and then click "Mount" Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more. It looks dulled-out. So, if you cannot click it, then click the First Aid button to fix this volume.

Apr 22, 2024 6:12 PM in response to Joost-02-03

First, uninstall Webroot by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software are not needed on a Mac and usually causes more problems than they solve since they interfere with the normal operation of macOS.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

The Kernel Panics are referencing the Display Co-Processor (DCP). Hopefully the issue was caused by Webroot and is not a hardware issue.

I'm not familiar with some of the other third party software installed since I'm not a macOS software expert so hopefully another more knowledgeable contributor can chime in on the other software. I assume that the Fortinet VPN is for your job/employer.

Apr 23, 2024 6:41 AM in response to Joost-02-03

Joost-02-03 wrote:

HI Grant,

Thank you for your reply. Is there a work around for Forticlient? When I am working at home I need Forticlinet to login to our work environment.

That is a valid reason to have it & use it. Do not worry about it. You just don't need any anti-virus software. Some of the Fortinet VPN downloads include anti-virus as well (not sure what Fortinet bundles since my organization does not need the Fortinet AV package).

Apr 23, 2024 7:32 AM in response to HWTech

The vast majority of VPN Users are running VPN software foisted on them as scare-ware. VPN is generally not needed, but far too many VPN packages add features that damage performance and/or break into secure communications (ineptly) so as to invade your privacy and sell your data.

if you need to be present on your Institution/Employer network, a VPN may be needed. That VPN should be selected with care based on Institutional requirements, and should be chosen and supported by your Institution.

I have never seen Forticlient on any 'best' VPN list.

--------

if you need remote Control of a computer on that Network, rather than "Presence" on that network, consider a solution like Team Viewer.

Apr 23, 2024 6:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Fortinet VPN software is usually used when a business is using a Fortinet Firewall & VPN. There are actually several different download packages for the Fortinet software. I know one of them bundles in an AV product (not sure what AV product it is) while another one just has the VPN client which is all a user needs unless the employer requires the one with the AV product. I know our company requires people to run some sort of AV software on their system or they are not permitted to connect to the network.

How to fix crashing issue on MacBook M3 MAX, GB, Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.