Setting up new wifi and password

I try to connect to my new wifi which is displayed in the list of networks but it doesn’t ask for a new password. It just says the password is incorrect. I assume it is picking up the old one.

Another post suggests forgetting the old wifi but in my case it no longer exists and isn’t detectable, so this won’t solve my problem.

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 2:37 AM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2024 8:51 AM in response to Julieep123

What is your model Apple TV box?

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

1. Try the steps as mentioned in: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users report that they had to set ‘WPA2’-only first.

Apr 20, 2024 11:13 AM in response to Julieep123

➔ 2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. You should be able to find that below the list of available networks. Then you get the chance to type in both the network name and the password. This would have to be done only once; the stored network password would be updated with the new one.

My model number is A1469.

Then #3 also applies. Verify that the router or access point has, in its settings, compatibility set for WPA2 (too), as Apple TV (3rd generation) (2013) wouldn’t understand WPA3, which may be default on a new router or access point. For many network gear, there would be access to their settings via a browser (on computer or mobile) to the gear’s IP address.

Apr 17, 2024 1:15 AM in response to Julieep123

under Network it shows router as n/a

That confirms that Apple TV is not functionally connected to a home network at that time.

Select ‘Wi-Fi’ to start making a connection. Then see if the network name (SSID) for your own Wi-Fi home network is listed among the locally discovered Wi-Fi networks. Select the wanted network name to connect. It should then ask for a Wi-Fi password.

What is your model Apple TV box?

Apr 17, 2024 5:36 PM in response to Urquhart1244

My model number is A1469.

I select Wifi then the new network name which appears on the discovered wifi networks BUT it doesn't ask for a password. It goes straight to 'error - invalid password'. My assumption is that it is somehow picking up the old one but that network no longer exists so I can't 'forget' it. It is a software error - not Apple's first.

Setting up new wifi and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.