Other devices using my personal hotspot like crazy!

Can somebody tell me what’s going on with my personal hotspot? I’ve been using it to get my Macbook online. But my data has been using up really quick. When I check it up I found some “other devices” are using my data like a beast. For last 2 weeks they’ve been using 270GB of data! I tried to change password but it’s not helping. Just to know I use MacBook with hotspot to download a lot of work files, and that's not even using half of data other devices. Can someone help me with this issue?

iPhone 13, iOS 17.3.1.

iPhone 13

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 12:57 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 17, 2024 1:15 AM in response to Shane849

Other Devices includes essentially any device that can connect to a Wi-Fi network can potentially use your iPhone's personal hotspot for internet access. Keep in mind that the number of devices that can connect simultaneously may be limited by your iPhone's settings or your cellular plan's restrictions.

A list of a few devices that could be part of the "Other Devices"

1. Other smartphones: Such as Android devices, Windows phones, or even other iPhones.
  2. Tablets: Like iPads, Android tablets, or Windows tablets.
  3. Laptops: MacBooks, Windows laptops, Chromebooks, etc.
  4. Desktop computers: PCs or Macs with Wi-Fi capability.
  5. Gaming consoles: Devices like Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, or Xbox that have Wi-Fi connectivity.
  6. Smart TVs and streaming devices: Such as Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, or Fire Stick.
  7. Smartwatches and wearables: Some smartwatches and fitness trackers can connect to a personal hotspot for internet access.
  8. E-readers: Such as Kindle devices that have Wi-Fi capability.

The "other devices" in your iPhone's personal hotspot usage typically refers to any devices that have connected to your hotspot to use your phone's internet connection. Even if you don't use a computer, laptop, or tablet, other devices like another smartphone, a gaming console, or even a smart TV could have connected to your iPhone's hotspot, consuming data.

See the pic below. Samsung here indicates Samsung TV

If you feel an unauthorized app/device is using mobile data over a personal hotspot, then that is possible only if you have done one or more of the following Don'ts...

1. Don't hand over an iPhone to kids or to a stranger without Enabling Guided Access
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jailbreak
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device
  5. Don't plug in your device in Airports and Public places through third-party cables and trust the device. Beware of Juice Jacking. (Especially in India)
  6. Don't leave your iPhone unlocked and unattended in public places like offices, schools, malls, etc.

If one of the above is true then quickly change the Apple ID Password and Return iPhone settings to their defaults.

Other devices using my personal hotspot like crazy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.