Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Care + Theft And loss localisation services

Hi i got Apple Care + for Theft and Loss

I saw that if i disable the localisation services (not the Find my Phone one, but the localisation services) i cannot ask a new phone replacement if my Iphone get lost. Is it true ?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 8:32 AM

14 replies

Apr 18, 2024 8:57 AM in response to aliraza129

All this is wrong, sorry.
Yes. Without Location (not Localisation, which refers to languages) services turned on, "Find My" does not work, and Theft or Loss is not covered if Find My is not active on the lost device.

click here ➜ iPhone Theft and Loss Claims - Official Apple Support

Coverage for theft or loss requires you to have Find My enabled on your

device at the time it is lost or stolen and throughout the claims

process.

Ignore the previous it is wrong.

Apr 18, 2024 9:12 AM in response to aliraza129

aliraza129 wrote:

Thanks guys for the answer

So for example i subscribed to Apple care 1 week ago. I turn OFF the localisation (and find my phone) on the settings today. I turn ON the localisation (and find my phone) tomorrow. I lost my phone 2 days after. I will have the phone replacement or no?

Because i saw that if you disable the location settings after YOU subscribed to Applecare+, even you enable it before you loss the phone, you cannot have a phone replacement.

Already answered this. The requirement is, as shown in the support document I linked to above, to have it turned on at the moment of losing it. There is no requirement to have it turned on always. But since you cannot turn on Find My after losing the device, it requires you having it turned on before losing it at some point.

click here ➜ iPhone Theft and Loss Claims - Official Apple Support

Coverage for theft or loss requires you to have Find My enabled on your
device at the time it is lost or stolen and throughout the claims
process.

Apr 18, 2024 8:56 AM in response to Phil0124

So for example i subscribed to Apple care 1 week ago. I turn OFF the localisation (and find my phone) on the settings today. I turn ON the localisation (and find my phone) tomorrow. I lost my phone 2 days after. I will have the phone replacement or no?

Because i saw that if you disable the location settings after YOU subscribed to Applecare+, even you enable it before you loss the phone, you cannot have a phone replacement.

Apr 18, 2024 9:07 AM in response to Phil0124

Apr 18, 2024 12:16 PM in response to aliraza129

I'm pretty sure that's just a way for them to guarantee it is on. Not sure Apple has any way of verifying whether Find My has been on since Apple Care+ was purchased or not. Only that it is currently on at the time of filing the loss claim.

Also, since you can't know when you will lose a device, its a good idea to keep it on always, in case you do lose it.

But in all honesty, I don't think there should be any issue if you turn it on 2 days before you lose it, and then somehow lose it.

Though it would be the luckiest thing to have happen.

Apple Care + Theft And loss localisation services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.