Can’t unpair from previous owner

I bought an Apple Watch on eBay (don’t judge) and I haven’t been able to pair my phone with it because the previous owner is still paired. We’ve been messaging back and forth trying to get them to unpair but they’re not understanding what to do, they have tried to be fair but no luck.

is there anything else I could try to disconnect the accounts?

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 12:39 PM

4 replies

Apr 18, 2024 12:55 PM in response to ryanthorburn

No they need to follow the instructions from Apple to do it correctly.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Before you buy, sell, give away, or trade in - Apple Support

It’s possible that the seller is having a hard time because they aren’t actually the original owner unfortunately. Ultimately, if they for some reason can’t figure out how to follow the instructions to do what is necessary (they can also call Apple for assistance if they are having trouble following the written steps) then you may need to contact eBay and start the process for a refund under the buyer protections policy although looking at that dates on the pictures you posted it seems like you have let a lot of time pass and may not be eligible anymore (September 2023….it’s been more than 6 months). If you’re not eligible you may just have to accept the loss. You won’t be able to use the watch.

Apr 25, 2024 12:16 PM in response to ryanthorburn

Moving forward, when buying a "used" Apple product it is wise to buy from Apple refurbished store. If you are not aware of that store go to Apple.com, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "Certified Refurbished," and then begin shopping!

There are NO downsides to buying from Apple Refurbished. The products are identical to new, come with the warranty as a new product, are eligible for AppleCare and can save hundreds of $$. Also, if you pay with your AppleCard you can get cash back or get free (no interest) financing.

I just took delivery of my Refurbished Apple Watch Ultra 2 yesterday and saved over $120.00.

If you cannot find what you want on the Refurbished Store check back often as inventory can change quickly!

Can’t unpair from previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.