Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Adding page in Word Doc mode without pushing text, objects into following sections

I'm writing a manual in Pages 7.3 in Word Document mode. I can't seem to add a page to a previous section without it pushing the text or objects ahead and out of place into the following sections! I have all the objects set to "stay on page" and text wrap set to "none". But when I add a page it affects everything that follows in all sections. Is there a way around this?

My Mac is a mid 2012 Mac Pro, OS Mojave 10.14.6 and as I said, Pages 7.3. I imagine a newer version would have fixed this, but am not sure how or where to download the latest version 10.14.6 would accomodate!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 12:37 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 18, 2024 1:36 PM in response to Fretjob68

You are mistaken about Pages v7.3 forcing content from one section into another. A section is comprised of one or more pages. This is particularly revealed in thumbnail view when you select the first page of a section and all page thumbnails associated with that section receive a pale blue background.

Here is a selected section of thumbnails. You can see the blue section background and there are 4 pages in that selected section. The last thumbnail is a new section of one blank page.

One cannot insert a blank page, but only a page break. If I do that at the end of page 2, you will observe no change in the thumbnails other than the insertion point is now the first item on the third page. As I add content, the text on page 3 will be pushed down until it overflows onto page 4 and if page 4 overflows, Pages will automatically add another page 5 to the first section and the blank section will be incremented to page 6.

Case in point, I just copied and pasted the first seven paragraphs of page 2 to the beginning of that page break on page 3 and here is the result with just a little spillage onto page 5 of the first section. Note that the blank second section is now page 6 and no content was moved into section 2.

Tested. Pages v7.3 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Technically, Pages v7.3 was the first release of Pages for High Sierra, and the last version for High Sierra was Pages v8.1. You should be using Pages v10.1 which was the last compatible version of Pages for macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Apr 18, 2024 3:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX, I can't thank you enough for the reply! I guess maybe I misstated the problem somewhat.

I am using a combination of text and png files that sometimes take up a whole page, sometimes several pages:

So when I used your suggestion to "insert page break" instead of the "add page" at the bottom of the last page with text, it did indeed insert a page at the bottom of that section. It even skipped over the 3 pages with graphics on them, like I wanted. I wanted to do this so I could add more pages of graphics at the end of that section:

But if you'll notice the next section (grayed out) at the bottom of that last screen shot, you'll see that the "insert page break" operation caused an issue in that next section. Page 14, the first page of the new section, now has the png file that had been on page 15 on top of it. I moved the graphic a bit to the right so you could easily see the text behind it. It not only moved that graphic, but all the proceeding graphics for the next 60 pages or so!

So I guess the operation is not actually pushing content into the next section, but rather, causing already arranged content throughout the remainder of the book to move around.

I noticed another post on here where someone mentioned the "Locked" feature. I wasn't aware of the feature and so had not engaged it. I thought as long as I had the "Stay on Page" and "None" for text wrap selected, things would stay in place. Is that my problem? I just need to go back and "Lock" all of those objects?

Thanks again for your reply!!

Apr 19, 2024 12:00 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hi again, VikingOSX. So I still don't seem to have corrected the problem. I did indeed go through and "Lock" all of the objects in the document. This keeps them in place as intended. The problem now is that when I insert a "page break" at the end of a page of text in one section, it puts that "Locked" object that was on the first page of the following section on the new page of the previous section that I'm adding to.

Here is a screen shot of the first section that has 1 page, the Table of Contents. It's followed by the first 2 pages of the next section:

But then when I place the cursor to insert a page break at the end of the Table of Contents page/section, it adds a page to that first section, but the new page now has that locked object that was locked onto the first page of the 2nd section:

So it appears that Pages will force content into a different section if it is a "locked" object. In this case, it's forcing it from the second section to the newly added page in the first section. Being new to Pages, I'm sure there's some easy fix for this. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance man, I truly appreciate your help.

Apr 23, 2024 12:39 PM in response to Fretjob68

In Mojave, if Pages was pre-installed by Apple or a third-party reseller, then you cannot get Pages.

Otherwise, launch the Mac App Store and sign in with the same Apple ID that you used to previously install Pages from the Mac App Store. Press cmd+0 (zero) to open the Purchased panel. There should be some visual clue there that allows you to update/install Pages. Click that and do not Cancel any dialog that subsequently appears. Eventually, a dialog will appear offering to install the last compatible version of Pages for Mojave. Do that.

Adding page in Word Doc mode without pushing text, objects into following sections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.