Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No way to Add New Pages in Pages 5.2

I'm running Pages 5.2 on a MacBook Pro (2015)

I can't figure out how to add a page to my existing document.

The instructions in the Apple "Help" section only relate to the latest version, which appears to have an "+ page" button in the menu. I understand from my research, that there're different approaches based on it being a "word-processing" or "page layout" document file. This is still not helpful since there doesn't appear to be any indication which I'm working in. I'm trying to create a multi-page catalog with text and images, so... maybe a Page-layout file? And in any event, I would welcome both paths of instruction. I've tried at least one of the suggested methods with still no resolution. I shouldn't think it's should be this difficult, but...

I appreciate the community's help on this one. If you've had experience adding pages in Pages 5.2, please respond with some detailed instruction. Thanks so much.

Steve

Here are some screenshots to show what I'm talking about:

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 3:43 PM

Hi Steve,

If the first item in the Insert menu is "Section", as it in in your example, your document is a Word Processing document.

Pages are automatically added by the application as they are needed to contain the main flow of text.

You can force a new page by inserting a Page Break

If the first item in the Insert menu is "Page", your document is a Page Layout document.

In a Page Layout document, each page ins a separate section, so inserting a new Page requires inserting a new Section.

Several options listed in the Insert menu apply only to word processing documents, and are greyed in the same menu when it is opened in a page-layout document.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Optimus-Veo

Hi Steve,

If the first item in the Insert menu is "Section", as it in in your example, your document is a Word Processing document.

Pages are automatically added by the application as they are needed to contain the main flow of text.

You can force a new page by inserting a Page Break

If the first item in the Insert menu is "Page", your document is a Page Layout document.

In a Page Layout document, each page ins a separate section, so inserting a new Page requires inserting a new Section.

Several options listed in the Insert menu apply only to word processing documents, and are greyed in the same menu when it is opened in a page-layout document.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 25, 2021 9:33 AM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry, for providing that bit of clarity. While it made sense to understand that there are 2 file types Pages saves to, I was still unclear as to WHERE I need to go and HOW to switch this file type. After creating a new " experimental" file and some playing around, I discovered 2 things — 1 ) a newly created file is defaulted as a Word Processing document and 2) (it takes a little digging) but I found I can switch to a Page Layout document by going to "File" in the top menu, then selecting "Convert to Page Layout" in the dropdown (screenshot below). This, thankfully, seamlessly converted the file without any destruction or alteration to my existing design/layout. Now, whether I selected "Insert" from the Main Menu or the Toolbar, the option to insert/add a Page is available (as in your last attached screenshot). Selecting "Page" will add 1 additional page after the page I'm currently on in the document. Perfect — exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you Barry for your help.

Merry Christmas,

Steve

No way to Add New Pages in Pages 5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.