Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Could my iPhone 13 be compromised by accidentlly clicking on an ad on Facebook?

I have a new iPhone 13. After having it for a week I was on Facebook and clicked a link that brought me to a sketchy site (on Safari's browser). An ad then filled the page, and when I tried to back out of the page I accidentally tapped the ad. I'm sure I saw an icon go up and down indicating it was downloaded. However, I haven't been able to find the download. Then next morning my battery seemed to drain faster (nothing too drastic, but the battery was worse than before).

That said, no other signs of malware are present. I'm not getting pop-ups, my storage is great, my data usage appears normal, phone is almost never hot, etc. I performed a factory rest on my phone the next day. The battery is still the same, and I've read a lot, but I still can't shake the feeling that something weird might have happened.

Any advice?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 2:03 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 19, 2024 12:13 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for replying so quickly too. But what if something downloaded?

As well, both last night and today while Googling on Safari, Safari alerted me that there was "unusual traffic" coming from me/my device. Could it be that the malware/virus is in my Safari app in some way?

Should I just do a complete factory reset or is there a better way of getting anything weird off? The thing is, nothing else weird happens. I have no pop ups, Safari isn't slow, etc.

Apr 19, 2024 12:37 PM in response to Norrobi445

Norrobi445 wrote:

Thanks for replying so quickly. What if something downloaded?

Unlikely.

Unlikely anything harmful was downloaded, unlikely it can get past code signing and malware checks, and unlikely it can get executed.

What you are concerned about is effectively either an espionage tool, or a no-interaction jailbreak. Both of which are uncommon.

Both last night and today while Googling on Safari, Google alerted me that there was "unusual traffic" coming from me/my device.

Ask Google. I don’t have Google apps installed, and don’t use Fi, and tend not to use Google services.

Based on some web searches (using another search engine), their “unusual traffic” messages are seemingly less than useful, too.

Or Google just want more free labor to train their statistical models.

Potential contributors to Google confusion include VPNs and Private Relay, as well as other potential candidates.

Could it be that the malware is in my Safari app in some way?

Unlikely.

Proving a negative—that you aren’t compromised—is exceedingly difficult, though.

If you’re an annoyance to somebody exceedingly rich and powerful, or an investigative journalist, or political dissident, senior in some large or well-funded private or public organization, with access to sensitive or classified data, or with access to great wealth, or similar, the security calculations here might or will shift.

But again, security problems are unlikely here.

Apr 19, 2024 8:25 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you for all of that. This is great. I've been wondering if something actually downloaded as I never found a file. I didn't know if it could just disappear and be in the system somehow (although I don't know what it would do since iPhone is sandboxed). I just found it uncomfortable that my battery was draining quicker (and only slightly at that).

Could my iPhone 13 be compromised by accidentlly clicking on an ad on Facebook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.