Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMac Touch ID not working while plugged in

Hello,

Why is it that when I use my magic keyboard when plugged into my iMac, the touch ID does not register my fingerprint, however, when operating it wirelessly, it does register fine.

I have even tried creating a new fingerprint while plugged in, and the error message as follows keeps appearing - "unable to complete Touch ID enrollment"

Is this a common problem? Is there a solution other than restarting my computer and connecting/disconnecting the keyboard (as I have already done so)?

I have already followed the troubleshooting techniques shared by the Apple support website.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 7:35 PM

1 reply

Apr 18, 2024 10:02 PM in response to Michealmate

You have to have an 2021 or later iMac for TouchID to work. If that is what you own, please read Use Touch ID on Mac. If you don't have a 2021 or later iMac then please check the Tech Specs of your computer and the keyboard you are using.

If you are still having a problem (assuming the computer is a 2021 or later iMac) then, does the computer have any of the following third party apps installed?

·      Antivirus Apps

·      Cleaning Apps

·      Security Apps

·      VPN Apps

·      Maintenance Apps

If so that is likely the problem and any and all of them should be uninstalled per the developers instructions.

iMac Touch ID not working while plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.