Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About eSIM on iPhone

esim on an old iPhone

I'm an Android user who wishes to keep in touch with my son while he's walking to and from school. Even though I have an Apple ID I'm not allowed to utilize the feature that's only available in iPhones so that my son can share his location with me. So I'm on a quest to get an old iPhone and purchase myself an eSim card which I just heard about recently. Of course I don't want to lise money on a dead end, so I'm reaching out to the Apple Community here to find out whether or not this is possible. I'm further excited about the idea of an eSim because I don't have to register another telephone number if I'm not mistaken. Any comments about my quest here? Again it's just for checking locations so I'm sure I don't need anything greater than iPhone XS, but really it's not about the phone it's about whether I can do this with an eSim card. Thanks for listening.

iPhone XS

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 11:47 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 19, 2024 12:01 PM in response to ratzorizzo

iPhone XS is eSim capable, so this should work. An eSim is not a physical card as you may be used to. It is an electronic Sim, which your carrier needs to set up for you, which means you'll be paying monthly for a phone line on the XS if you buy one.

And since there are no new iPhone XS phones sold, please read this because you'll be buying a used one --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

If I were you, I'd buy the phone from the Apple Refurbished Store. You'll get a full one year warranty and be assured it has a new authentic battery, case and screen on it --> https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished?

Apr 19, 2024 6:39 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you both for your quick responses. I see there are limitations clearly, but still some possibilities. Yes if there's some way I could just transfer as you've mentioned, even if it's only temporary. I would be satisfied with that. There's still another angle I have to try with an Android and Google, but this is a good information. Thank you.

esim on an old iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.