Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How can I prevent my iPhone Power Chord from catching on fire?

My power cord caught on fire a quarter of inch to half inch from where it plugs into my I phone 14 pro max. I’m extremely lucky I looked down to see this. If I was out mowing my house could have caught on fire. My cord wasn’t damaged I check it. The adapter for wall was checked at Verizon and my phone this morning they were fine. This is extremely upsetting then to be charged for a new cord only. 37.00. I don’t know if my next phone will be an Apple phone it scared me that much. Has anybody else experienced this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 9:59 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 20, 2024 10:27 AM in response to Sissy0725

FWIW, I have been using iPhones since the iPhone 4 model with a variety of Apple, and non-Apple, charging cords. In that time, I've never experienced one catching on fire ... but, have on occasion, had a cord exhibit wear such that it exposed the wiring inside. Of course, I would stop using that cord and get a replacement.

Is it possible for a cord to be defective? Sure, but this would be more common with "lower quality" cords. For example, if a cord is poorly constructed, it could offer a point of resistance against the current running through it. This resistance would cause that point to "heat up". Potentially, then if the temperature gets high enough it could start melting the plastic outer shell to the point it may combust ... but, this is rare ... unless other factors are introduced.

Like:

• The cord being pulled out by pulling the cord itself and not at the connector ends.
  • Accidentally dropping the phone while it is still connected to its charging cord.
  • Coiling up the cord, incorrectly, too many times when not in use.
  • Bending the cord at an extreme angle.
  • Using a poorly made power adapter which would supply too much current that the iPhone's charging circuit cannot control.

As you can see, cords can be damaged by use as well. If the cord is defective to start with, this would only accelerate it failing sooner ... leading to a potential fire.

How can I prevent my iPhone Power Chord from catching on fire?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.