Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos won't import images

Ever since the lateste OS upgrade, Photos will not import images from the memory card. They show up on the screen. The blue button says "Import all New Photos." I click the button and the screen switches to another screen, the "Imports" screen. Nothing happens. The images never show up.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 1:18 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 21, 2024 4:48 AM in response to Thomas Carney

And how ist the external disk connected to your Mac? And the file system format of the external disk?

The external disk should have a wired connection, the fiel system format should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, and the external disk should not have be en used for Time Machine backups.

As a test: Try to set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag on your external disk. If it is not possible, there is something wrong.

Has your external drive been prepared exactly as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support ?

Apr 21, 2024 7:58 AM in response to léonie

Thanks. But before I do what you suggested, I should say that prior to the updates, the Photos app. Worked fine. Since then, it takes a long time to read and display the images from the memory card and then when it does, it takes a real long time to import them.

The incident I wrote in about is the latest in the mishaps with the Photos, for after a long time to display the images it simply clicks to the import page and nothing happens. No photos imported.

External drive was already set to the parameters you mentioned.

Thank you.

Apr 21, 2024 11:21 PM in response to Thomas Carney

I hope it works as expected from now on. And the external drive was formatted as APFS as it should, right?

And avoid all 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, ESET NOD32, Trusteer etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors and money loss.

Apr 22, 2024 2:14 PM in response to Thomas Carney

It’s formatted MOS Extended (Journaled) like leonie said it should be. I don’t have any of that 3rd party stuff. And once again, even if I had, the problems only started with the Photos update and not earlier when those other programs would have been running.

I’m still looking for answers as to why this is happening. Every suggestion I’ve been given was for settings or connections I was already using or to not use things I haven’t been using. 🤔

the search continues …

Photos won't import images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.