Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How can I retrieve my Aperture Library from an external hard drive?

I have used Aperture for years. I loved how the editing software worked so I never made the switch to something new even after the software was discontinued. Now fast forward to a couple months ago to when my old imac finally died. I took my computer in to get everything on the hard drive transferred to an external hard drive and now I have an aperture library that I have no way to open with my new mac mini. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can retrieve these photos, I would be so appreciative! I am even willing to buy an old mac book that could run the older software. That library contains so many memories that I am heart broken to lose! TIA

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 2:40 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 20, 2024 3:20 PM in response to jjem2002

Assuming that library is intact ten the first thing you need to do is choose which app you're going to migrate to. How you proceed will depend on that choice. Some folks have gone to Photos, the freebie app that comes with your more recent machines. It's more equivalent to iPhoto than Aperture, though. Others have gone for more powerful apps like Lightroom Classic, CaptureOne, or OnOne Photo Raw. (There are other options.) Depending on which of these you choose the steps are different.

Photos can import images from an Aperture Library. Lightroom Classic can migrate an entire library. Using the Finder you can recover the original files - but that means losing all the work you've done on them. So, let us know how you want to proceed, and we can advise you further.

How can I retrieve my Aperture Library from an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.