Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I add a user to a folder. I get an error message that I do not have the permissions to complete the task.

I am using a new Mac mini and the Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.6

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 6:53 PM

You might not. How are you attempting to grant that user permission to use that folder? The "right" way to share files among users of the same Mac is to use its Public or Shared folder: Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support.

If you are trying to grant access to a folder in your own Home folder to another user of that Mac, it won't work.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2024 6:53 PM in response to rangelly

You might not. How are you attempting to grant that user permission to use that folder? The "right" way to share files among users of the same Mac is to use its Public or Shared folder: Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support.

If you are trying to grant access to a folder in your own Home folder to another user of that Mac, it won't work.

Apr 23, 2024 1:43 PM in response to rangelly

You should be able to do it. If the two Macs are networked with one another and you are using the appropriate Sharing preferences: Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support, it should work. In Sharing, be sure you give permission to the User that you wish to designate as an authorized user of that Mac. It could be a username / password or an Apple ID.

If that does not help, consider using an external hard disk drive connected to the media server Mac. You can elect to ignore Permissions on that disk, which would obviate any concern about it being a factor.

In any event attempting to change permissions for anything within their respective Home folders isn't likely to be successful. macOS has had that ability locked down for several versions now.

Apr 21, 2024 3:25 PM in response to John Galt

John:

Thanks for the fast response. The answer was accurate and well written. It was easy for me to follow. Using the Public and Share folders will not solve my problem. Let me explain my system. I am using Mac mini M2 with macOS 14.4.1. It is connected to a switch using a 802.5 Ethernet cable. The switch is connected to a Modem connected to the Internet. I also have an iMac 27 inch Intel system using macOS Venture 13.6.6 connected to the same switch. The iMac has 4 TB of disk connected directly to the computer. It is used as a data server. I want to save data files on a regular bases (several times in an hour) to the iMac. I can use Finder to connect to the iMac from the Mac mini and access the disk but I cannot move data to the disk. When I do I receive the message that I do not have permission. Before I purchased the Mac mini I hade two iMacs connected to the same network and I moved files between the iMacs without and problem. Both iMacs used macOS venture. I can see all of the disk I cannot copy data from one system to the other. The other issue is I cannot the info for each of the disk. Can you provide me an answer

Thanks Ron

How do I add a user to a folder. I get an error message that I do not have the permissions to complete the task.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.