iPad changing uppercase to lowercase

When I’m typing on my iPad, like in the Notes app, the first word doesn’t want to start with an uppercase letter. See screenshot. Before I start typing using the virtual keyboard, the Shift button is lit up as it should be. But after I start typing, an uncapitalized version of the word pops up as an auto-correction suggestion. If I keep going, the uncaps version will replace the caps version. Therefore, I have to stop and tap the little “x” in the suggested word to get rid of it. In the keyboard settings, I have Auto-Capitalization and Auto-Correction both turned on.

I believe it’s also happening when I type in apps other than Notes, but not all apps. It happens when I type in web sites in Safari, like I’m doing right now. In fact, right now, the Shift button isn’t even lighting up.

this is an example. See the first word “this”. But it is now capitalizing the word “But” at the beginning of this sentence.

but not now; no lit Shift key. But lit now. It’s like it doesn’t want to capitalize at the beginning of a paragraph, but will at the beginning of a sentence.

iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd generation, iPadOS 17.4.1

iPad Pro (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2024 11:52 AM

Ok, noted the different results. I suggest we try comparing notes to see if there are common factors for seeing or not seeing the problem.

For the record. I have not seen the problem.

iPad Pro, 11" M4

Tested with OS v 17.5 and now 17.5.1

(Also tested on older iPad Pro 9.7" before it was erased today. Fault not seen.)

iPad language: English

Region: UK

Keyboard (my default): English (UK) QWERTY layout

(Also tested with keyboard English (US) and no fault found)

Auto Caps: ON

Auto-Correction: ON

(all other keyboard toys ON)

I can't think of any other settings which might be relevant, but I'll be happy to test (when possible) if any suspect settings surface.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2024 11:52 AM in response to jla930

Ok, noted the different results. I suggest we try comparing notes to see if there are common factors for seeing or not seeing the problem.

For the record. I have not seen the problem.

iPad Pro, 11" M4

Tested with OS v 17.5 and now 17.5.1

(Also tested on older iPad Pro 9.7" before it was erased today. Fault not seen.)

iPad language: English

Region: UK

Keyboard (my default): English (UK) QWERTY layout

(Also tested with keyboard English (US) and no fault found)

Auto Caps: ON

Auto-Correction: ON

(all other keyboard toys ON)

I can't think of any other settings which might be relevant, but I'll be happy to test (when possible) if any suspect settings surface.

May 19, 2024 3:35 PM in response to CJK2

Thanks, CJK2. As it’s not just me, I’m guessing it’s a bug. If that’s the case, I’m curious as to why more people having the same problem haven’t posted in this thread. However, they may have posted in different threads. I had not yet tried this with the Magic Keyboard until just now when I read your post. Like you, everything works fine with that. The problem exists only with the on-screen virtual keyboard. I confess I feel better knowing it’s not just me.

Apr 21, 2024 2:23 AM in response to jla930

There could be something in the background that is causing it too. You can try to do a force restart and see if this corrects the issue. This can help with some random weird stuff that may pop up and no data will be lost when doing this.

Depending on what model iPad you are using there are a different ways to do this. If you have an iPad with a Home Button:

1. Press and Hold both the Home Button and Power button until you see the Apple Logo on the screen

If you see a slider that appears to "Slide to Power Off" then just ignore this slider and continue to hold the buttons until you see the iPad turn off and the Apple Logo appear on the screen. Once the Apple Logo appears on the screen, you can release both buttons and let the iPad load as normal and once you get back to your Home Screen you can try again and see if this has corrected the issue.

If you have an iPad with no Home Button:

1. Quickly Press and Release volume up
  2. Quickly Press and Release volume down
  3. Press and Hold Siri/Wake button until you see the Apple Logo

As before with the above procedure, if you see the slider, just continue to hold the Siri/Wake button until you see the Apple Logo. Once you see the logo, you can release the button and allow the iPad to continue to boot normally and check once it is back up.

Apr 21, 2024 1:58 AM in response to jla930

Take a look at your settings and see if you have Auto-Capitalization turned on or off or if there is other settings that might need to be adjusted. If you goto Settings > General > Keyboard. You can check to see if Auto-Capitalization is turned on or off or if there are other settings there that might need adjusted. This is a place to start, I'm not sure what else could be causing this at this point, but this is an idea to check.

May 19, 2024 3:55 PM in response to jla930

Yes! Not just you, but maybe not many of us. Hard to find any other info on it.

Since posting, I've tried toggling the Auto-Cap setting and hard resetting as well, but nothing so far has worked. Oddly, I've found that if I wait a beat between the first letter and the rest of the word, it stays capitalized. Hard to beleive it can be affected by typing speed... but there you go. Really weird!

[Edited by Moderator]

May 19, 2024 5:09 PM in response to CJK2

CJK2 wrote:

Same thing here. I have an iPad Pro, updated to latest iOS, hard reset, an hour with Apple Support... still happening. It does NOT happen when I use the Magic Keyboard. ONLY happens when I use the iPad's on-screen keyboard.

I'm at a loss!

Using my iPad Pro with iPadOS 17.5 I am unable to reproduce the problem as originally reported. Auto caps first word is respected in the Notes app. I suggest check and update your software if you are still using an older version, because this might be fixed in v 17.5

iPad changing uppercase to lowercase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.