Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Text speech to stop reading "mathematical italic small {character}" for special character

When I use text speech, sometimes special character like n is read as "mathematical italic small n". Is there a way to change the setting so these letters can be read as just "n" instead of "mathematical italic small n"?

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 9:05 AM

7 replies

Apr 21, 2024 11:54 AM in response to tomtomo

tomtomo wrote:

When I use text speech, sometimes special character like n is read as "mathematical italic small n".

Where exactly are you getting this italic n, on what app? Some people try to to use math italics to display normal italic characters in messaging apps where the normal ones might not be available. If that's what is happening to you, I think the only way to change what text to speech does is to stop using the math italics.

Apr 22, 2024 10:03 AM in response to tomtomo

tomtomo wrote:

Sorry this page does not have “n” but it has the same problem with the “g” and “x” in the first paragraph if the “Formal definition” section.

Text to speech on my Ventura iMac and my iPad with Safari does not show this problem with g or x in that paragraph, it just reads them normally.

What device and OS version and browser are you using?

Text speech to stop reading "mathematical italic small {character}" for special character

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.