Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Missing Proxy media

Help, please. I am having an issue with proxy media. Why is FCP telling me it needs to link to some Proxy media when I never created proxy media in the first place! I am positive I did not. I checked Settings (Preferences) as well as the Import screen.

Short story long: I was cleaning up some storage devices; moving files and folders around. Presumably the folders that contained the media linked to my FCP projects were all in one place.  Well that turned out not to be the case.  When I opened the Library I saw red screens and yellow triangles. I know I probably should have used the “Consolidate” command but I am not that sophisticated a user. Anyway I spend the last several weeks (not full time because this is just a hobby) moving all the photos and clips into one top-level folder with proper sub folders. After that, I basically started dragging individual files into the FCP Events. It was kind of neat to see  the yellow alerts in the Events go away.  Same with the Projects themselves. At least for the photos. The clips seemed to work differently; but no real problem. Eventually there were no missing media alerts in any of the Events. There was no missing media in any of the Projects either.

Back to the original topic. What I kept seeing was a yellow alert next to the Project name in the timeline. I opened the Index in the Timeline. Searched for missing media. No results. Exported the Timeline and watched the results in QuickTime. No problems. Tried Relinking under File menu. Selected Original Media nothing showed up. 

However one time I accidentally selected Proxy media and there were about 20 files! Mostly clips. Where the **** were these proxy files. I knew for sure they were not in any folder I had set up. After “consolidating” I would delete the empty folder. I opened the Library Package Contents and searched. Nothing. In the Viewer I switched from viewing original media to Proxy media and swatches of red showed up in the Timeline. 

So as long as I am viewing/sharing Original media everything is fine.  Buy it bugs me that I have these “stray” files that I can’t seem to get rid of. I have deleted Generated media several times but every time I check the Relink>Proxy it is still looking for the “missing” files.

I would like to understand how/why they were all created. I would also like to get rid of the “missing” Proxy files if I could.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 1:54 PM

Similar questions

24 replies

Apr 21, 2024 5:52 PM in response to WilliamL

Why is FCP telling me it needs to link to some Proxy media when I never created proxy media in the first place!
  • If you haven't created a proxy →Viewer display: Proxy only →The timeline is displayed in red →Red display is correct
  • If you reconnect the proxy to the original media →Viewer display: Proxy only →Display the original on the timeline →Displaying the original by proxy only is a wrong connection

Apr 21, 2024 3:42 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, No where does FCP say "No Proxy's." I just say that I never created Proxys.

Maybe some screenshots will help. This is "Original" View.

Now I switch to "Proxy" View.

IF I go to File>Relink>Proxy this is what I see.

Yes it is able to match up files and relink them, and the missing media in the Timeline goes away. But if I take LocaAlicia's suggestion and delete "Generated Clips ..." I am back to square one.

And I still don't know why FCP created the Proxy media.

Apr 21, 2024 4:35 PM in response to WilliamL

I see the missing proxy icon in the project and in the viewer I think.

This seems to be the file path to your original media.

It looks like you're relinking proxies to the original media files.

Normally proxies are in a specific proxy folder. It will normally be in a folder called Proxy Media inside a folder called Transcoded Media. There may also be a folder called High Quality Media for Optimized files. The application generates these folders in the designated storage location. Where is the designated storage location for your media?

Apr 22, 2024 7:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

After having my first cup of coffee I understand what you all have been trying to tell me about missing proxy files. I am sorry for being so dense. Of course a proxy file would be missing if it didn't exist. What contributed to my confusion was mixed in with the video clips were photos. Why it didn't dawn on me that photos would not have proxies I don't know. So in the Viewer in Proxy mode the photos showed up along with the red messing video indicators. This is what confused me.

I did do one other thing. I deleted FCP and reinstalled. Not sure if this actually helped or not but after deleting "Proxy media" with the FILES>DELETE GENERATED ... FILES>RELINK FILES ...>PROXY MEDIIA returns only one "broken" link. This is a long way from the original list.

Thanks again for everyone's patience.

PS. I do have one more question. Viewing the Original media folder inside the Library (package contents) I see several aliases with (fcp1) or (fcp2) after the name of the original file. Can anyone tell me why these designations are appended to the name, before the extension designation?

Apr 22, 2024 7:20 AM in response to WilliamL

PS. I do have one more question. Viewing the Original media folder inside the Library (package contents) I see several aliases with (fcp1) or (fcp2) after the name of the original file. Can anyone tell me why these designations are appended to the name, before the extension designation?

I believe this can happen when there are multiple files with the same name - for example, if you import (say) Clip001.mov from one card, and then another Clip001.mov from a different card, FCP cannot assign the same name to two files in the same folder, so it has to distinguish them somehow.

Apr 22, 2024 7:49 AM in response to WilliamL

I don't think you should worry about the file names. One should not mess with the insides of a library bundle in Finder, unless in very limited circumstances and if you are fully aware of what you are doing. You risk corrupting the library. You can rename clips in FCP browser, if necessary, but don't expect that the name you assign has anything to do with the file name.

Apr 22, 2024 8:54 AM in response to WilliamL

WilliamL wrote:

No I wasn’t planning on doing anything within the Library. I was just looking around and just curious. The appended files do not show up in the Browser, nor in the original media.

Precisely - that name change is internal and does not reflect in the user interface.

To see that in a perhaps more evident way: select a clip in the browser, say "Clip 1", control-click, Reveal in Finder. Probably it's called "Clip 1.mov"; now try renaming said clip in the browser, to something completely different, say "Potato", and again control-click, Reveal in Finder, and it is still "Clip 1.mov".

Apr 22, 2024 11:03 AM in response to WilliamL

As you can see, these are files that would otherwise have the same file name, for example

2013-08-14 AA landing (fcp1).mov

2013-08-14 AA landing (fcp2).mov

They are both aliases, not the actual media files.

You can select each one in the Finder, press Command-I and check what the original file for each is.

Perhaps they both point to the same file? In any case, do not change any of that in the Finder.

Missing Proxy media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.