Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

New Mac Mini is abysmally slow?

I bought a new MAC MINI/10C CPU/16C GPU/16GB/512GB-USA for $1199 a few months ago. It was my first Apple computer, though I've been on iPhone since 3. This is the slowest computer I've ever owned by such a wide margin. I'm waiting over 10 minutes for it to open Pro Tools, the only software I have added. The mouse glitches up constantly. My 9 year old Windows laptop runs the same program pretty easily. I learned I had 14 days to say something, which I haven't. I've updated OS each time, rebooted, etc. It's always really slow. Any thoughts on what to do? #sorrynewhere

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 7:52 AM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2024 1:15 PM in response to hcsitas

So, uh, this might have been the issue?! I unplugged the wireless mouse, plugged in an old-*** wired mouse, and booted up. OS loaded snappily. Pro Tools loaded snappily. Only 5 mins in, but I'm not experiencing any of my historical problems. Never would've thought to try this, so, uh, yeah, thanks? I'm definitely going to have to Google why this is even a thing :D

Apr 22, 2024 8:09 AM in response to bmagazu

Which OS version do you have?

which version of Pro Tools? (PT became compatible with Sonoma barely a few weeks ago, so any previous version can be part of the issue.

i run PT on a mini 2018 (certainly slower than yours) and it works (almost) flawlessly and is still very snappy in speed. Lots of tracks, lots of plug-ins, and rarely fail.

also: do you have PT project on external drive ? (Not ideal).

Apr 23, 2024 1:07 PM in response to lanstrad1

Ventura 13.2.1 and PT artist. This issue has persisted (though at times to varying degrees of absurdity) on every version of OS over the last 4-5 months since I got this machine. I haven't upgraded to Sonoma, but likely will unless this thread suggests I do otherwise. I only bought this Mac for music.

No external drives. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2024 4:16 PM in response to bmagazu

I would advise not to move to Sonoma until you solve this. Going to a new os will not solve the issue, especially Sonoma.

When you say « slow », can you be more specific? Is this a M2 ? You have 16 gb memory?

do you run an antivirus ? (If so, which one? - try to disable). Anything possibly running in the background ?

Any issue with iLok ?

Is the mouse and keyboard connected by bluetooth? Working fine? Which audio interface are you using ?

Try EtreCheckPro as suggested by den.thed

New Mac Mini is abysmally slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.