Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMessage only showing the first letter of text messages since updating to iOS 17 (currently running 17.4.1)

This happens randomly and it's unpredictable, often several times a day. It can happen in a group text, single thread, with iMessage only users and/or SMS users, so it's not isolated to one type of text message. The full message will preview on the notification lock screen but when I go to read the message this appears. I'm using a 12 Pro Max and my friend with a 15 Pro Max has the same issue. The only fix is to close the messaging app then reopen it, which is only a temporary fix. I updated to 17.4.1 and the issue is still occurring. I don't have the option to postpone upgrades due to corporate accounts which require updates to run.

Is there another software update coming to fix this bug? It's extremely annoying (and pretty much inexcusable) to have a bug that fundamentally renders useless what is arguably the most used application on an iPhone. Please like if you have the same issue so this get's noticed by developers. Thanks

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 6:10 AM

I have learned that if I turn my phone sideways I am able to view the whole conversation but when I return it to the upright position it is still only the first letter.

19 replies

iMessage only showing the first letter of text messages since updating to iOS 17 (currently running 17.4.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.