Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iTunes tells me there's not enough room when I try to burn my 690 MB playlist to MP3 CD?

So I'm trying to burn an MP3 CD (yes, I know, I'm a dinosaur). The discs I always use have a limit of 700 MB, but the actual invisible limit hovers around 691 or 692. Honestly it seems like that amount keeps gradually dwindling and is even inconsistent.

The playlist I'm currently trying to burn has 690.4 MB. That should be enough space, and I know I've burned for more in the past. But whenever I try to burn it, I get that error message telling me that I'm going to need an additional disc because the playlist is too big. That's impossible though. I've burned larger playlists before. In fact, once I got that error message, I tried another playlist that is slightly larger at 690.6 MB--same disc!--and it burned just fine.

So what's the problem? More to the point, what is the cold and hard cutoff point? Why does it vary whether it will accept 690.6 but not 690.4? (****, I even want to say I used to be able to burn 692-693 MB discs some ten years or so ago.)

Google reveals no answers to this question except for the standard "Data discs can hold up to 700 MB" blah blah blah, which is of course a lie; the limit is around 690-ish. But I don't want an -ish. I'm doing an extensive musical project with lots of discs, and I want a firm, exact threshold.

Can anyone help?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 5:05 AM

I don't have a definitive answer, but my hunch is that it revolves around block sizes and the number of files. Each file requires one or more blocks for storage. Any unused space in a block is lost. The more files there are comprising a playlist that is shy of the 700 MB upper bound the more space will be lost due to incomplete blocks. In Windows Explorer, for example, you can select properties for a bunch of files and get two numbers, size, and size on disk. Block size on CD may be different from local storage, but size on disk should be a better indicator of what would fit than the size in the iTunes status bar. Of course your files won't all be in one place, so you would have to copy them out to a folder to check. A useful exercise once perhaps, but picking a slightly smaller expected capacity and/or switching to larger discs seems to be good advice from the fiend.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2024 5:05 AM in response to TheRewster1106

I don't have a definitive answer, but my hunch is that it revolves around block sizes and the number of files. Each file requires one or more blocks for storage. Any unused space in a block is lost. The more files there are comprising a playlist that is shy of the 700 MB upper bound the more space will be lost due to incomplete blocks. In Windows Explorer, for example, you can select properties for a bunch of files and get two numbers, size, and size on disk. Block size on CD may be different from local storage, but size on disk should be a better indicator of what would fit than the size in the iTunes status bar. Of course your files won't all be in one place, so you would have to copy them out to a folder to check. A useful exercise once perhaps, but picking a slightly smaller expected capacity and/or switching to larger discs seems to be good advice from the fiend.

tt2

Apr 23, 2024 4:00 AM in response to TheRewster1106

TheRewster1106 wrote:

I'm not interested in arguing semantics whether the manufacturer "lied" or whatever. I just want to remove the guesswork with burning MP3 CDs moving forward.

Then you shouldn't have mentioned it. I simply responded to something that you offered as fact, which it isn't.

As for removing the guesswork; again as stated, it's unlikely that anyone here would have sufficient knowledge to provide you with anything other than their own experienced, but amateur opinion. Perhaps you might find an authoritative answer by asking the disc manufacturers.

In the meantime, since you're using the discs as data CDs (the data being audio in MP3 form) rather than Audio CDs*, perhaps you could try an 800MB disc. Alternatively, make your playlists smaller than 690MB, thereby allowing for any variation in the capacity of an individual disc.

* An Audio CD is one burnt to the industry standard for an Audio CD, i.e. a factory-produced audio CD (which could contain either speech or music), but in a specific file format. A CD with MP3s on it is a data CD that has audio files on it and as such, it may not be playable on some audio CD players since it doesn't conform to the Audio CD standard.

Apr 23, 2024 1:22 AM in response to TheRewster1106

TheRewster1106 wrote:

Google reveals no answers to this question except for the standard "Data discs can hold up to 700 MB" blah blah blah, which is of course a lie; the limit is around 690-ish. But I don't want an -ish.

But 690MB is within the "up to 700MB" limit, so it's not a lie at all. The probably answer is that the capacity of a recordable disc will depend on the error rate incurred when the disc was manufactured. In other words, it's inevitable that every disc will have manufacturing imperfections which mean that the absolute capacity is never exact.

I'm doing an extensive musical project with lots of discs, and I want a firm, exact threshold.

I doubt that anyone here is an expert on the subject.

Apr 23, 2024 3:04 AM in response to the fiend

"The probably answer is that the capacity of a recordable disc will depend on the error rate incurred when the disc was manufactured. In other words, it's inevitable that every disc will have manufacturing imperfections which mean that the absolute capacity is never exact."

But that doesn't explain why the same disc rejected 690.4 MB as too big but accepted 690.6 MB as good enough.

I'm not interested in arguing semantics whether the manufacturer "lied" or whatever. I just want to remove the guesswork with burning MP3 CDs moving forward.

Apr 23, 2024 11:18 AM in response to turingtest2

“Each file requires one or more blocks for storage. Any unused space in a block is lost. The more files there are comprising a playlist that is shy of the 700 MB upper bound the more space will be lost due to incomplete blocks.”

Ah, thank you! I hadn’t thought about it before in terms of each track/file having their own block of data.

That actually makes all this make sense now. The example I used originally of the 690.6 MB playlist has something like 280-ish tracks, but the 690.4 MB playlist that won’t burn has just over 300 tracks. (And I’m thinking back to older playlists I was able to burn at 693 MB—those had considerably fewer tracks.)

That’s just the info I need going forward. Thank you very much for answering my question so patiently!

iTunes tells me there's not enough room when I try to burn my 690 MB playlist to MP3 CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.