Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

2017 iMac just started to randomly freeze and reboot with kernal panics. Help! EtreCheckPro report attached.

2017 iMac has been chugging along great and then all of a sudden it's been freezing on anything from just using Chrome or Photos. I can't seem to determine what software is casusing the issues. I checked hardware and all was fine did disk first aid in recovery mode and no issues were found, did the PRAM and SMC still having issues.

I found the EtreCheckPro app and as a last resort am trying to see if people can review and help me troubleshoot. There seems to be a few issues that are causing the kernel panics.

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 6:57 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 22, 2024 7:33 PM in response to Teael

1) When did you upgrade the RAM from 8 GB to 40 GB...?

If some time ago, recheck to make sure that all modules are firmly seated in the slots.

If recently, where did you purchase the 16GB modules that you use to upgrade the RAM?

2) Those 3T Fusion Drive setups can become iffy over time and you have no Time Machine or other backup.

Before you do anything else, I highly recommend that you make a Time Machine, CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper backup on at least a 4T external hard drive.

Apr 26, 2024 9:11 AM in response to Teael

You can save the Mac, however I'd start saving $ for a new one as yours is getting close to being obsolete. Rather than getting the HD replaced in the Fusion Drive I would strong recommend getting an external SSD and making that your boot drive and primary drive. This is wise for several reasons:

• Less expensive than a repair bill from Apple.
  • Will make the computer significantly quicker with a SSD.

To do the external SSD just follow the instructions in How to setup an external SSD as your startup disk and the external SSD I would recommend is the OWC Envoy Pro EX Thunderbolt 3.

If you do not feel competent to do the work then take it to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider and they should be able to do the work for a reasonable cost. Don't take it to an Apple Store (they won't do the work) or to the Best Buy Geek Squad, anyone else is fine.

Apr 24, 2024 10:17 AM in response to den.thed

OK I checked the memory and nothing seemed to be lose. I did not check the factory memory alone yet but I did the DriveDX report and I think it found some issues. Please see the report attached. My 6TB backup arrives tomorrow so I will do that as soon as possible. I am assuming that I could boot in safe mode and do a TimeMachine backup there so that it won't keep restarting while I try and back it up?

Apr 24, 2024 11:39 AM in response to Teael

Yeah' that's what I was afraid of.

Safe Mode may or may not help....

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

I would try Safe Mode, but then I would not use or use the iMac as little as possible until it is backed up.

There are other options beside Time Machine, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper for backing up.

https://bombich.com/ or https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Sadly without a prior backup, it could be very difficult to backup and it may already be too late.

Plus running in Safe Mode will not allow you to use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Apr 26, 2024 8:05 AM in response to Teael

Glad to hear that you were able to make a backup. Now you are at liberty to have the drive replaced or replace it with a new Mac and then Migrate from the Time Machine backup. see > Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

To seek service for that older iMac, you may be forced to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider instead of an Apple Store. To find your local a service providers, go to > Find Locations and click on Explore Service Locations.

Apr 23, 2024 7:09 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your response.

1. I bought the RAM in Jan 2020 from Crucial and have been using it with no issues. I can power down and make sure they are still in snug.
  2. I do use BackBlaze as offsite backup but I already ordered a 6TB HDD to make a timemachine backup too.
  3. Once I make the Time Machine Back up and assuming it's not the RAM what do you think my next steps should be?

Apr 23, 2024 7:36 AM in response to Teael

You're welcome.

If you find a loose or partially seated module, reseat all and test.

If not, then test with only the factory modules and then with only the Crucial modules.

Kernel Panics can be caused by hardware or software which can make them difficult to troubleshoot.

The next step is to check both drives that make up the Fusion Drive with DriveDX.

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

If both drives are healthy, then you will need to start looking at third-party software.

2017 iMac just started to randomly freeze and reboot with kernal panics. Help! EtreCheckPro report attached.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.