Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Client display issue with Samsung 42inch 4k HDMI connected tv

I have set the A/V output to my Samsung display and I have also attempted set it to my 2nd Apple studio display, both show up as options in FCPX 10.7.1. Any time I try to activate the A/V mode, the system gives me an error sound and attempts to display in fullscreen on the main display where the app is, which sort of locks out the ability to turn off the A/V mode from the window drop down. The way around this is to click on any of the other 2 desktops, command tab onto the app, and drop down to turn it off. Now I get that I should get a Black Magic UltraStudio 4k box and be done with this mess, but I'm not about to drop $1000 on a device that allows me to use a 42inch Samsung that cost about $400 (I'm toying with getting an OLED to replace the Samsung which would mean spending $1800 in total just to get a decent client monitor going!) Now I know I can "Show in Secondary display" the "Viewer" which would work if I could get the OS to mount the correct screen when the system starts up. Some days I get the 2nd Cinema Display as the choice, other times after startup I get the Samsung client display as the preferred choice for the 2nd display. I figured out how the system picks by leaving a file on the 2nd display desktop, which screen that file shows up in, is the one that got picked. I don't know why it's random or how which has been driving me bonkers since the M1MAX came out in 2020! I am now on an M3AMAX and still have this same issue. If anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate it. I talked to Apple about this with a 3rd tier who told me 2 things, that my M1MAX at the time cannot operate with 3 screens (it can operate with four 4k screens a that time, I only had 3 in use) and that FCPX can only use 2 screens so turn off the one you don't want to use. I said that's not going to happen, I need my script viewer. And I know it only runs on 2 screens, I just need it to work with the same 2 screens all the time, why is this happening? I've posted on the OS channel and no one has answered me there so I am trying here. Yes, I am running the latest OS Sonoma 14.4.1, the firmware is updated on all the screens, latest version of FCP 10.7.1. If there is a Terminal command that locks in what display is what, that is basically what I need to fix this issue from where I sit, thanks.

MacBook Pro (M3 Max, 2023)

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 6:57 PM

Similar questions

32 replies

Apr 25, 2024 3:54 AM in response to British31

These instructions seem crazy to me.

The A/V output display must be set to 3840 x 2160 - that part is correct, but AFAICT that is the only correct one.

So here is my short version:

1 - Set the resolution of the Samsung display appropriately

2 - In Final Cut Pro->Settings->Playback, select the Samsung display in the A/V Output popup

3 - Window->A/V Output

4 - There is no step 4

Now this concerns only the A/V Output part, but it may also help in the Secondary Display, because if the A/V Output is already on, FCP will use the remaining display...

Let me know how it works.

Apr 25, 2024 10:34 AM in response to British31

British31 wrote:

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

The A/V output display must be set to 3840 x 2160 - that part is correct, but AFAICT that is the only correct one.

2 - In Final Cut Pro->Settings->Playback, select the Samsung display in the A/V Output popup
3 - Window->A/V Output

4 - There is no step 4

Now this concerns only the A/V Output part, but it may also help in the Secondary Display, because if the A/V Output is already on, FCP will use the remaining display...

So that is the deal, the Samsung as always been set to 3840 x 2160, that part has never changed, and yet the system still pops the display in the home screen until I do that process I just told you about. Always the same thing, I get the alert, the app is trying to send to the Samsung, but nope, pops up on Home Screen, and locks out the drop downs since it's attempting to go fullscreen on itself, so I have to click on another desktop to reveal the drop downs so I can click off the A/V Output. Here is the resolution setting of the Samsung.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5907355f-1d95-43ba-81e4-8ba6d5d02f26

Here's what it looks like when A/V in enabled

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/42b4944e-3ad5-4174-a7b8-7542af558db8

And here is what it looks like when I try to close the A/V output.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/14185eb2-3301-4337-af3c-e4b8d3967c15

Notice lack of drop downs. Hope that gives you a better idea of what I am dealing with.

OK, now, brain storm, I have now shortened the list of things to do down to a simple change resolution in Preference panel. So set Samsung to 1920 x 1080, then hit A/V Output, screen does it's lay over thing.

As you can see above, since we set the resolution to 1080, the overlay is now only a portion of the screen, Now set resolution in Preferences to 3840! And it pops into the Samsung like it should! Well that is a way better process.

Apr 24, 2024 10:20 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Also, when I hit reply to your messages, do they attach to your thread? When I send them, they all land at the end of the main thread on my end! Why can't I reply like below? Screenshotting the reply isn't that efficient! I hit the Reply button under the thread I want to respond to. Something I am missing, this is what I get for not using this forum on a regular basis. 😳

Apr 25, 2024 10:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

3 - Window->A/V Output

4 - There is no step 4

So that is the deal, the Samsung as always been set to 3840 x 2160, that part has never changed, and yet the system still pops the display in the home screen until I do that process I just told you about. Always the same thing, I get the alert, the app is trying to send to the Samsung, but nope, pops up on Home Screen, and locks out the drop downs since it's attempting to go fullscreen on itself, so I have to click on another desktop to reveal the drop downs so I can click off the A/V Output. Here is the resolution setting of the Samsung.

Here's what it looks like when A/V in enabled

And here is what it looks like when I try to close the A/V output.

Notice lack of drop downs. Hope that gives you a better idea of what I am dealing with.

Apr 25, 2024 10:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Something is really weird.

A/V Output should have no effect whatsoever on your displays.
I don't know why this is happening.

You should be able to have your main FCP window on one of the Studio Displays,
optionally the Viewer (or Timeline or...) in the secondary display, AND also the A/V Output
on the Samsung, all at the same time.

Why it is behaving like this, I really don't know.

Just to make sure: you did select the Samsung as the A/V Output in
Final Cut Pro->Settings, right?

Yup, it is set as it should be.

Anyway, this saves me from having to go the Blackmagic route, so now I can save up for that 42inch OLED that I want to get for a better client monitor. Then use my Datacolor to color match all the displays!

Apr 25, 2024 10:52 AM in response to British31

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Something is really weird.

A/V Output should have no effect whatsoever on your displays.
I don't know why this is happening.

You should be able to have your main FCP window on one of the Studio Displays,
optionally the Viewer (or Timeline or...) in the secondary display, AND also the A/V Output
on the Samsung, all at the same time.

Why it is behaving like this, I really don't know.

Just to make sure: you did select the Samsung as the A/V Output in
Final Cut Pro->Settings, right?

Yup, it is set as it should be.

Anyway, this saves me from having to go the Blackmagic route, so now I can save up for that 42inch OLED that I want to get for a better client monitor. Then use my Datacolor to color match all the displays! Thanks for all your help again, you last post triggered that thought in my head on how to reduce the process down to just a couple of hops instead of the whole flipping back and fourth screen thing.

Apr 23, 2024 3:16 AM in response to British31

Something is obviously not working correctly, and the person you talked to is apparently not knowledgeable about FCP. You can certainly use FCP while having three or four displays connected. The suggestion to disconnect additional displays is incorrect.

You should be able to use A/V output with your 42" display - it fulfills the two requirements of using HDMI connection and being set to 1080p or 4K.

I did not know a Studio Display would work as A/V output, but apparently it too should work.

I would start by deleting FCP preferences - always one of the first things to try when the application misbehaves.

There could well be some third party software causing trouble.

The fact that you experienced similar problems on different Macs is not surprising if this is the case, as you probably brought along whatever was causing it.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Apr 23, 2024 3:22 AM in response to British31

It is a shame that FCP only says "Show in Secondary Display" but does not explicitly let you choose which display that is - a problem when there are more than two.

But there is a trick that I have learned many years ago. It consists of making the display you want as secondary in FCP to be the main display in macOS.

Then as long as you start FCP in your intended primary display (or move it there after you started, but before activating the secondary display), then when you choose Window->Show in Secondary Display->(...)

it will pick your intended display.

Apr 23, 2024 11:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have that option mapped to my Loupedeck what to show in the secondary display, again, it depends on which display the system boots back up into. I did you one better on deleting preferences and performed an Option launch to reset the entire app, I have done this a few times over the years with the same situation. It's rather annoying TBH. That solution fixes other issues that rarely come up and is a useful tool for launching any app in MacOS. I'll try that Etrecheck app here shortly.

Apr 23, 2024 11:26 AM in response to British31

British31 wrote:

I did you one better on deleting preferences and performed an Option launch to reset the entire app, I have done this a few times over the years with the same situation.

I am not sure I understand. The procedure to delete the preferences (or setttings as they are now called) is to launch the application holding down Option and Command keys. Launching the application holding down just the Option key does not reset it, it merely asks you which library to open (instead of opening what was in use the last time).

I will have a look at the report and will come back.

Apr 23, 2024 11:47 AM in response to British31

You do have a lot of stuff installed.

I cannot say that one thing specifically is causing these problems.

There are a few things of note, though.

There are two tests that I can think of, one quicker than the other.

1) Create a new admin user, log in to that user, try using AV output and/or the secondary display.

Does it work? Then surely a login item, launch agent or some other issue limited to your account is causing this.

No? Then it is something more systemic.

2) You could create a new APFS volume inside your container, install a fresh copy of Sonoma with FCP and nothing else, and see if it can do A/V output and the secondary display. I fully expect it will.

This will not completely solve the problem, but will determine that your mac can indeed be used in that way, and that the problems are not in the OS, but a result of some conflict.

Apr 23, 2024 11:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

So the system assigns or used to assign screen ID's, you would see them in the Display setup in system preferences, Screen 1, Screen 2, so on and so fourth. I suspect that those ID's get swapped like in my case, so the desktop will be in screen 2 or 3 and so the ID for that screen gets swapped. That's the only way I can explain it.

I hate being level 1, this shows you how often I use this system, as I have now reached my posting limit! 🙄

On a side note, since I installed and removed a few critical pieces of software, the system had to restart and now the correct display has been ID'd. The client monitor, see how long this holds out for.

Client display issue with Samsung 42inch 4k HDMI connected tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.