Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Visa and Mastercard Autoupdater

Has anyone been able to successfully un-enroll in Visa or Mastercard Autoupdater? For those who don’t know what it is, Applecard and other debit cards use an API to update new debit/credit card numbers with financial institutions (banks). Most banks will try to tell you that Visa or Mastercard owns this responsibility, but that is not true. The financial institution or bank has all of the control of this and is the entity that gives you card number to merchants. This is an issue if there is a fraud situation on your card number because the very entity that is supposed to be protecting you is actually updating the fraudulent accounts with your new debit card or credit card number. I was finally able to eliminate this by simply using my savings account for withdrawing money and not using debit. (I did not allow my bank to send my information due to the fact I had my Visa cards destroyed. There is an API that exists at the bank that Visa provides to banks (called a Stop API) for free, but my bank refused to turn off the ability for other companies to get my card number automatically. The even crazier part was that the bank wouldn’t provide me with the new card number until the card arrived but they sold the new number to anyone who may have had access to my account previously. If anyone was able to opt out of the updater, please let me know what steps you took. I even did a conference call with Visa and my bank where Visa told the bank that they had the ability to opt me out of the service. Didn’t help. The bank still refused because they are obviously making money from merchants who are paying to sign up to the updater.

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 10:19 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 23, 2024 4:48 AM in response to Nomnom4575

Visa and Mastercard run their services differently, but they are similar. Basically, merchants subscribe to it. It increases sales and helps prevent potential lost customers and customer service issues from loss of service. Most banks will allow the customer to opt out.

Visa and MasterCard do the forwarding of the information, so potentially your bank was correct. Bank issues new card account information, notifies payment network or gateway and information is forwarded to merchants.This is the push method. Pull just works in reverse.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/business/overview/grow-your-business/improve-checkout/bill-payment-services-contact-us.html

“Automatic Billing Updater (ABU) is a web service that provides access to updated account credentials (cards). This can be leveraged by Merchant/Acquirers/Payment Service Providers to ensure that they always have their customers’ most up to date card credentials on file; the main benefit being a big reduction in declines for recurring and card-on-file payments. This service can be used in two different ways, either pulling updates or having updates pushed to an endpoint on the Merchant/Acquirers/Payment Service Provider’s system for account numbers that they are watching.“

https://developer.mastercard.com/automatic-billing-updater/documentation/

Visa and Mastercard Autoupdater

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.