Opening a .fcpevent file in Final Cut Pro

A colleague downloaded my film onto my hard drive and when I opened it I couldn’t open the file named: CurrentVersion.fcpevent. Upon some research people said I need to create a folder named “Final Cut Events” and drag the project into it. Didn’t work. Then someone said online you have to drag that into a library but I couldn’t. They also said to click in File “Update Projects and Events” but I find that that doesn’t exist in the current version of Final Cut Pro (10.7.1). Please let me know step by step what I have to do to open my film in Final Cut Pro! Thank you!

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 11:03 PM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2024 3:16 AM in response to willowbands

In FCP 10.7.1 (indeed, ever since 10.1 in 2013) your FCP documents are called "Libraries" and look like this in Finder:

A library is techically a bundle - it's a folder containing your events, media, etc., and with extension .fcpbundle

You are showing a folder, "Expectancy". What are you seeing inside that folder?

Please post a screenshot of the contents of that folder in List view.

Is it possible that this was called "Expectancy.fcpbundle" but the file extension was removed from the name.

If that is the case, and the contents of the folder have not been disturbed, re-adding the extension might fix it, but please show us the contents of the folder first.

Opening a .fcpevent file in Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.