Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I import DSLR Jpegs into Photo Library?

Hi my Pentax K1 II, puts RAW photos onto SD Card 1, and Jpeg files onto SD Card 2. I can edit the SD Card 1 RAW files in Lightroom if needed but would like to get the SD Card 2 JPEG versions into Photo Library so that I can fairly quickly use them for social media and WhatsApp etc. Mine is a MacBook 20017 with Ventura 13.6.6.

Currently my Photo Library is set to HEIC files. Is at simple as changing this to JPEG, losing a bit of the quality and storage in the process?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 8:26 AM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2024 9:36 AM in response to Bomber44

I just pop my SD card into a USB card reader (because my Air doesn't have one built in) and drag the files to the Photos icon. If Photos is running when you connect the SD card, it may automatically offer to import all the pictures on the card. Since I don't delete pictures from my SD card before it gets full, I close Photos when I insert the card.

HEIC is sort of the preferred format for Apple-- it isn't higher quality than jpeg, but it's a more efficient compression. Oddly, Photos doesn't offer HEIC as an export format.

Photos don't change the format of an imported picture. It keeps the original picture unchanged, and it remembers the editing steps so it can recreate them for viewing, printing, and exporting. Except for thumbnails and previews, it may never need to create a jpeg or HEIC copy.

How do I import DSLR Jpegs into Photo Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.