Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library heic in Sierra and Big Sur

We just installed Yosemite on a 2012 MacBook Pro so we can run a 32 bit application (Final Cut Pro 7). Our photo library in iCloud contains many photos in heic format that do not work on Yosemite. Since we can't upgrade the os on that computer, is there any way to convert the photos in photo library to jpg?

I know I can export them as jpg and then import them again, but that gives me thousands of duplicate files. Any suggestions, please?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 2:48 PM

rbenen wrote:
I know I can export them as jpg and then import them again, but that gives me thousands of duplicate files. Any suggestions, please?

You won't have duplicates if you export the HEIC photos as JPEGS to a folder and delete them from the library before importing the new jpegs back into the library.

That's the only way to do what you want.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 2:48 PM in response to rbenen

rbenen wrote:

You won't have duplicates if you export the HEIC photos as JPEGS to a folder and delete them from the library before importing the new jpegs back into the library.

That's the only way to do what you want.

Photo library heic in Sierra and Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.