Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why isn't my iTunes search history chronological?

When I search a song or artist or whatever on my Windows iTunes library the song or artist I searched last is not at the top of the list. The list is not chronological at all. In fact, the song I searched last usually is not in the displayed list at all. Instead, the list displayed contains a random selection of artists from among the last twenty or so artists I searched, and almost never the last one. This is often not helpful. I often go from one artist to another and then wish to go back to the first. It would be easy if I could just click the most recent entry in the search history, like I do in the iTunes store. But I cannot do that in my own iTunes library. I've looked for a setting somewhere but not found one. You know, one that says "actual search history, please." I have the latest iTunes version. Moroever, this has never worked to my knowledge.

What am I missing, or is this some sort of weird, nonsensical bad product design issue?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 11:07 AM

5 replies

Apr 24, 2024 8:22 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks but I'm sorry I know how to narrow my search. And I am not necessarily looking for a smaller list, if that's what you are referring to. I am looking for an organized list, a history that is actually a history of my searches, a history that begins with my very last search and goes backward in time from there in chronological order. Even on the iTunes Store the search history works this way. All search histories everywhere do. Except when I'm using my iTunes library. In my iTunes library, the search history is essentially ahistorical. And my iTunes library is where I would use the search history most, when I am moving around the library; if my last search even appeared on the list. Instead, I have re-type my last search.

Does that make sense? I would like to know if there is a way to correct this problem, as it thwarts me almost every single day, often many times. Thank you.

Apr 25, 2024 2:56 AM in response to Hugh_Laurie

I have re-read your original post and I now understand what you're asking for.

Hugh_Laurie wrote:
You know, one that says "actual search history, please." ...
Moroever, this has never worked to my knowledge.

I believe you are correct, it has never worked but that's because it is not a feature. I don't know of any search box that lists past search queries chronologically. Google's Chrome browser for example, lists opened pages, not search queries.

Apr 25, 2024 8:20 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks.

Chronological search histories are provided automatically across my Office products. In fact, you don't have to search at all. You just select Open and a list of many of your recently used files are listed right there, in chronological order.

I expected chronological search histories on iTunes because:

1) iTunes is a program maintained right here on my computer, like Office, with routine updates that have been sent to and installed on my computer for twenty years;

2) the iTunes Store has figured out and coded a chronological search history.

This is perplexing, since one spends more time in their library than the store.

It's like the database search software was coded twice in two different ways by two different departments whose software functions directly relate to each other.

I don't use Apple Music. How does search history work there? Probably chronologically? Did they code search history differently/separately, too?

And other Apple programs and apps? No chronological file Open or search histories?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Apr 26, 2024 3:08 AM in response to Hugh_Laurie

Hugh_Laurie wrote:
Chronological search histories are provided automatically across my Office products. In fact, you don't have to search at all. You just select Open and a list of many of your recently used files are listed right there, in chronological order.

But as you state yourself, that's recently used files, not recently searched for.

At this stage of iTunes' life, I think you're best option is to find another method of achieving what you want. You could try making a suggestion to Apple for such a feature, but let's face it, iTunes is in the autumn of its life now that Apple has announced (and introduced) its replacements, albeit that they are not yet ready as full replacements for iTunes. And those who use a Mac, with OS Catalina or later, they have no option to use iTunes. It's just not there.

If I'm not mistaken, the Amazon store has a recently viewed list, possibly the closest to what you are seeking from your iTunes library. But then, Amazon (like the iTunes Store) is using that list to try to get me to buy something from them. Apple gets nothing from anyone searching their own iTunes library and to be blunt, effectively nothing from iTunes full stop. Even today, one can download iTunes, fill it with music copied from their own CDs, buy music from any other online source and then use iTunes to play all that music on the computer. Not one single payment to Apple.

Apple even went as far as giving iTunes users a copy of the U2 album Songs of Innocence (which I didn't want).

I wasn't going to add any more to that comment, but now that I think about it:

if a U2 fan wanted that album, but owned no Apple products, their choice was pay for it in their regular store, or download iTunes, use iTunes to get the free copy from Apple, import the album to their regular music player software and devices and then never make use of iTunes again.

It has to be one of the most hairbrained schemes ever to have been unleashed on to the public. And for any U2 fan who didn't think of this (and the album currently costs £8.99 for the basic copy or £11.99 for the deluxe version), they're probably not very happy with U2 for giving the album to Apple owners but not to anyone else. I'd be miffed!

Not that U2 are the only band to make such a colossal error of judgement... (thinking of the drummer of a well-known heavy metal band, who ripped into his most loyal and devoted fans. Strangely, one can't find that video anymore.)

And in case anyone thinks otherwise, I can assure you that we saw plenty of angry posts here from people who deleted the unwanted album from their iTunes library, only for Apple to put it back again. (You couldn't make this stuff up!)

Why isn't my iTunes search history chronological?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.