Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Green Dots On iPad Screen - Unsatisfied By Apple Support

REPOST SINCE MY LAST POST GOT TAKEN DOWN

My iPad Pro 3rd Gen 11inch has little green dots over the right side of the screen (I've included an image below). The dots only show up when the screen is a darker colour (this makes watching movies pretty annoying). I scoured the web trying to find someone with the same issue as me, but was unsuccessful so I contacted Apple Support. I went up the chain until I was talking with a supervisors supervisor who also hadn't heard of my issue. He tried to bypass my expired warranty due to this issue being so unsolvable/unknown, but even he was unsuccessful in providing me with a solution. I am now faced with two options... Either shell out another 1k towards a new iPad or deal with the dots (I am a student who can't afford that at the moment). I acknowledge that all the support workers were super helpful (in trying to find a solution) and sympathetic, but I am now stuck with a defective product, which has left me feeling upset. I worked hard to get this iPad for school and I am left feeling disappointed in the quality of these iPads and Apple's support service.

I want to put this out there for anyone else who might come across this issue (or any Apple employee who might be able to help). The story above took place a few months ago, but the green dots have been getting worse, hence this post. As of now, there is no solution.

The first image is the original problem and the second one is a newer image showing brighter green dots against a scene from Harry Potter.

Update: Original post got taken down for some reason. I hope this was just an error… or someone is trying to silence this issue.

-Josh

iPad Pro (3rd generation)

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 1:26 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 23, 2024 1:51 PM in response to Skymaker12

Skymaker12 wrote:

Now, that’s where the loop hole begins. You don’t disagree that I have a defective screen, correct? If it’s not my fault I don’t see how it makes sense that the liability is on me. Unfortunately it looks like I have that edge case scenario where there should be a repair program for something like this, but there isn’t. I’d like to buy Apple products with the reassurance that if something like this happens, the company can step up and acknowledge.

I am curious to see if this post will find any others with similar issues.

Whether it is defective or not (I'm not agreeing that it is), it is past the warranty, it provided you the time that it should. If you wanted it to last longer and be supported longer, then you should have purchased the extended warranty and you wouldn't be in the situation that you are in. It should not be the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide something that will work forever. It should be known that with use things are going to fail. Mistreatment or not, there are many underlying causes that could cause anything to fail, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Always be prepared for the unexpected. Unfortunately your device has failed, however, it is past the warranty and that is now your responsibility. I understand how it feels and it doesn't feel good that you are now stuck with a dilemma of if you should put up with it or replace it, but unfortunately that is how things work. It is expected to last a certain amount of time (the warranty period) and if it doesn't that is why it gets taken care of without it being your responsibility. However, once it has made that time period, it's no longer expected to keep working and can fail at any time. That being said, once it does, it's your responsibility to get it fixed if you want it to keep working for you. If it was defective it would have failed during the warranty period and it obviously did not.

Apr 23, 2024 1:35 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes, normally it is the user’s responsibility but I clearly got a defective screen. I am not even sure what to repair due to Apple not telling me the root issue. The post was made to raise awareness as I’d like to get proper support and possible compensation for this issue. I’ve been through all channels of apple support and this is my last option. I feel like the responsibility shouldn’t be on me to repair due to it not being my fault, but rather Apple (especially since this seems to be a first time issue).

I’d also like to try and find people who might have similar issues because if there is a chance in repairing it, I would like to.

Apr 23, 2024 1:35 PM in response to Skymaker12

Skymaker12 wrote:

Yes, normally it is the user’s responsibility but I clearly got a defective screen. I am not even sure what to repair due to Apple not telling me the root issue. The post was made to raise awareness as I’d like to get proper support and possible compensation for this issue. I’ve been through all channels of apple support and this is my last option. I feel like the responsibility shouldn’t be on me to repair due to it not being my fault, but rather Apple (especially since this seems to be a first time issue)

Unless Apple has a specific repair program for something that is a known manufacturing defect, even if the device develops a fault after the warranty ends, it's your responsibility.

Apr 23, 2024 1:40 PM in response to Skymaker12

Skymaker12 wrote:

Yes, normally it is the user’s responsibility but I clearly got a defective screen. I am not even sure what to repair due to Apple not telling me the root issue. The post was made to raise awareness as I’d like to get proper support and possible compensation for this issue. I’ve been through all channels of apple support and this is my last option. I feel like the responsibility shouldn’t be on me to repair due to it not being my fault, but rather Apple (especially since this seems to be a first time issue)

I completely understand where you are coming from, however, the Warranty is for a set period of time for a reason. You can't really say that the device is defective if it's not shown anything before the warranty was up. This is why almost all electronic companies allow you to purchase an "extended warranty". The warranty is there in case you get a defective unit and it doesn't last past a specified amount of time. You didn't bring it to the attention of anyone before the warranty ran out so I don't know of any company out there that would just compensate you for the time that you have had your device. Things have a warranty because electronics can fail, it's impossible to test every device that comes out, and even if they were all tested, there may still be some that shortly afterwards can still fail.

If you didn't purchase an extended warranty (AppleCare+) and it made it through the Warranty then it's going to be on you to get it replaced. If you did purchase AppleCare+ and it made it past that and now has started to cause the issue, then you have gotten the time that it should have been covered and past that even so again, it can't be called a defective unit.

Displays can fail, and they do, it looks like the you have some dead pixels and that's why they are turning the color that they are. Your warranty has expired and if you wish to get the display fixed, it's going to be your responsibility.

Apr 23, 2024 1:41 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Now, that’s where the loop hole begins. You don’t disagree that I have a defective screen, correct? If it’s not my fault I don’t see how it makes sense that the liability is on me. Unfortunately it looks like I have that edge case scenario where there should be a repair program for something like this, but there isn’t. I’d like to buy Apple products with the reassurance that if something like this happens, the company can step up and acknowledge.

Apr 23, 2024 1:49 PM in response to Skymaker12

Skymaker12 wrote:

Now, that’s where the loop hole begins. You don’t disagree that I have a defective screen, correct?

You missed the very important qualification in my post. I said that Apple is responsible for MANUFACTURING defects with in the first year or if they set up a special program for a known manufacturing defect that is later discovered. This is not that.

I very carefully said that if your device develops a fault (and I agree that it's a failing screen) after the warranty, it's your responsibility. Electronic components go bad sometimes, even if you're careful, and the likelihood increases as time goes by. That's why the warranty only lasts for a year. Most manufacturing defects will show up very quickly, and most parts will not fail in a year.

If it’s not my fault I don’t see how it makes sense that the liability is on me.

Your device failed after the warranty expired, and you chose not to buy an extended warranty. So how is that not your responsibility? Would it be great if manufacturers provided free repairs forever? Sure, but that's not the world we live in.

Of course, other people have had iPad screens fail. I'm sure you can find such posts if you use the forum Search feature. Other than a sort of misery loves company thing, it's not likely to be very helpful.

Green Dots On iPad Screen - Unsatisfied By Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.