Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Malware on Mac prompting me to renew Norton

I took a screenshot of a link to a JS library I was interested in using (it was on a Zoom video, so I couldn't click it). I opened the screenshot and clicked the link using Apple's photo url functionality, and it turns out it thought a j was an i, bringing me to a series of redirects and eventually to Norton's website. I assume the URL was coined since it could be commonly mistyped that way.

I'm now receiving system alerts that include "PC is at risk", "Click here to add card", "Viruses Found (5)".

I've tried force quitting Safari, checked my extensions for ones I haven't installed, and cleared Website Data so far.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 4:54 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 23, 2024 5:44 PM in response to Skarpness

Skarpness wrote:

Do I need to worry about remnant processes that might run in the background?

No.

This is spam, not malware. This is advertising. Junk.

As for the general mess that exists, more than a little of the add-on anti-malware around is way too close to actual malware, too. Some of the better known stuff for Apple platforms got caught and later fined for collecting and reselling personally-identified web browsing and web purchasing data, and I’d be floored if the add-on VPNs weren't also collecting and reselling metadata. VPNs badly solve a problem that hasn’t existed for a decade or so, but doing so in a way that’s perfect for collecting, after all. The anti-malware is getting harder to distinguish from malware.

But here? This was advertising spam. Not malware.

The spam lied about the detected viruses too, because websites cannot scan your Mac. Malware scans are deeply intrusive. If a website could scan your Mac for malware, they’d not bother with the ruse and would just upload and steal your data directly.

BTW: You have built-in anti-malware tools and scanning, and built-in malware removal, within macOS, too.

Malware on Mac prompting me to renew Norton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.