80 yr old needs video editing advice

A local photo shop digitized some very old VHS tapes, saving them to my Seagate Portable External Hard Drive (not SSD). At my request, each VHS was saved as both .MOV and MP4. After connecting the Seagate to my iMac M1 (16GB) desktop/Sonoma, I was able to 'see' the various .mov and mp4 digitized files (the mp4's are roughly 5GB in size).

Being a newbie, I'm fearful of making edits, as I want each original mp4 version to remain as my master so to speak; so, I'm thinking I should create a duplicate of the mp4 video and save that to my iMac for editing. Then, when the edits are complete, I guess I'd save/name it as, say, YouTube Video #1, and it would then be stored alongside the .mp4 masters on the Seagate external drive. Yes?

My main goal is to upload the edited mp4 videos to my YouTube channel, and invite others to view. I have no special editing software at this point. Just iMovie. I've never edited videos before, but as a former photographer I have edited thousands of still images in Photos. Looking for a simple video editing process. Please help!

iMac 24″

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 11:23 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 24, 2024 6:29 AM in response to Rivergull

I would think that you could select the Mp4 video on your Seagate drive and then do Edit/Copy and then Edit/Paste it elsewhere on the Seagate drive. That would give you a duplicate of the Mp4, with the original master still preserved. You can edit the duplicate in iMovie and export it (share) it to your desktop or to the Seagate drive. Then open You Tube and drag it into You Tube's upload window.

iMovie would be perfectly suitable to do the edits.

-- Rich

80 yr old needs video editing advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.