Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

WiFi setting is turning itself off when I turn it on

iPhone 7 32GB

iOS 15.8.2

On my phone, for some reason every time I try to open the Wifi setting on my iPhone, it’ll just not work and turn itself off. On top of that, my hotspot changes into random UUIDs as passwords.

These things do get reverted (temporarily) after a restart though. After a little while no networks will show up in the Wi-Fi menu.

How to reproduce (to my knowledge): Go to another country and then restart your phone

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 5:02 AM

2 replies

Apr 24, 2024 5:09 AM in response to YoshiGPLS

One possible explanation for this behavior could be related to the region settings on your device and how they interact with Wi-Fi networks in different countries.

When you travel to another country and restart your phone, it may attempt to adjust its settings to comply with local regulations or network standards. This adjustment could potentially cause issues with your Wi-Fi settings, such as turning off Wi-Fi or changing the hotspot password.

To address this issue, you can try a few troubleshooting steps:

1. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including Wi-Fi passwords and VPN configurations. After resetting, reconnect to your Wi-Fi network and see if the issue persists.

2. Ensure that your iPhone's region settings are correctly set to your current location. Go to Settings > General > Language & Region and verify that the correct country or region is selected.

3. Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Sometimes, software updates contain bug fixes and improvements that can resolve issues with Wi-Fi connectivity and settings.

4. If the issue persists after trying the above steps, consider reaching out to Official Apple Support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or advise you on any potential hardware issues.

It's also worth noting that using a VPN or certain security features on your device may affect how Wi-Fi networks are detected and connected to, so you may want to review any settings related to network security or privacy.

Apr 24, 2024 10:36 PM in response to Heretostay59

I would try to reset my network settings but I can’t because of Screen Time. The region is correct, and I have not installed a VPN on my device. I also think 15.8.2 is the latest update for my phone at the moment. Some extra info: When no networks show up and I turn off the WiFi setting then turn it back on, it’ll show a loading symbol for a bit then turn itself on automatically

WiFi setting is turning itself off when I turn it on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.