Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Weather Channel app not rotating on new iPad Pro Gen 6

I gave my daughter my 11” Gen 4 iPad Pro which worked fine with the weather channel app. I purchased the newest 12.9” pro which is basically the same tablet just larger. They both have the upgraded memory and 2TB. Weather Channel does not rotate on the 12.9. That just doesn’t seem to make sense/ I’ve checked all the usual suspect issues but everything seems fine. I actually set up the new tablet using my latest backup so everything seems to be still set up the way I like it.

Any ideas? Don’t be shy. I’m pretty puzzled myself. I do like the new iPad though…Al

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 3:15 PM

13 replies

Apr 25, 2024 2:58 AM in response to Texprof103

Texprof103 wrote:

I gave my daughter my 11” Gen 4 iPad Pro which worked fine with the weather channel app. I purchased the newest 12.9” pro which is basically the same tablet just larger. They both have the upgraded memory and 2TB. Weather Channel does not rotate on the 12.9. That just doesn’t seem to make sense/ I’ve checked all the usual suspect issues but everything seems fine. I actually set up the new tablet using my latest backup so everything seems to be still set up the way I like it.

Any ideas? Don’t be shy. I’m pretty puzzled myself. I do like the new iPad though…Al

Some explanation may be useful...

To switch between Portrait and Landscape view, you generally only need to rotate the iPad to the desired screen orientation.

For newer models of iPad without a side-switch, such as your iPad Pro, you may need to disable your Screen Rotation Lock. To do so, you need to access the Control Centre; swipe downwards from the top-right corner of the screen - then tap the Screen Rotation lock icon:

If screen rotation proves to be problem with some Apps - and not others - you need to be aware that not all Apps are coded to operate in both Portrait and Landscape screen modes. Apps that have a fixed screen orientation may appear in the orientation determined by the App Developer.

For compatible Apps that are intended for iPhone, iPadOS 15/16/17 will automatically rotate the App to display in Landscape screen orientation. There is no manual configuration or setting to enable this feature.

However, Apps designed for iPad that are expressly coded to force Portrait screen orientation, iPadOS 15/16/17 will honour the intended Portrait mode - and will not override the App coding.

For iPadOS 16/17, there is a workaround for Apps that only nominally display in portrait...

As your iPad Pro supports Stage Manager, portrait Apps can be displayed with the iPad in Landscape orientation:

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to ON

With the iPad in Landscape orientation and Stage Manager enabled, Apps are displayed within their own resizable App window. Portrait Apps are displayed in a corresponding window.

Hopefully you now have a good understanding of how different types of Apps may be displayed in various circumstances - and are now better able to use the advanced features of your iPad Pro to manipulate how App windows are displayed.

Apr 25, 2024 12:34 AM in response to sberman

I was checking out the Weather Channel app. this morning on my daughters hand me down (my former Gen 4 11in) as I have every morning for years in non-landscape mode or whatever it is called. I just got a new 12.9 iPad Pro so my daughter can use my 11 at school to take finals. I rarely watched it in landscape mode ever on a series of different year model iPads over the last 15 years . I am surprised the new 12.9 isn’t rotating the app., especially since the new iPad is just a big twin of her 11. They are both 2TB systems running on M2’s with iOS 17.4.1. I basically downloaded the most recent backup to the new one so they should work the same way I would think 🤔

Apr 26, 2024 5:52 AM in response to LotusPilot

I tried it LP, ad thank you , and I see where it would be useful for multitasking but remember I have had another iPad running on exactly the same data and apps (I literally downloaded my most recent backup from the 11 to the 12.9 for the initial setup. I thought it should run pretty much seamlessly but alas…it’s not an issue because I obviously can easily rotate the iPad. It just seems strange that they’ve slowly been reprogramming a lot of apps for rotation enabled purposes.Also, yes I am subscribed to the Wx website.

Apr 26, 2024 12:45 PM in response to sberman

No. There’s no solution yet, Sberman Stage manager sort of fixes it but it’s not full screen. It appears the weather channel may have changed its site some, perhaps for the larger screens? I was thanking LP for explaining stage manager but there’s still not a real portrait view. You can see in the pictures I posted that it works on the same year model 11” so I know it was working as recently as last night. I jus setup this 12.9 Wednesday.

Weather Channel app not rotating on new iPad Pro Gen 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.