Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't connect MacBook, early 2015, to Brother HL L2370DW (2018) via cable

New router after prior router died. Trying to connect Brother HL L2370DW to MacBook via cable. When I try to print a file, the process works through these steps: I press Print in my Word menu; the print signal is sent to printer; the printer icon appears; the icon announces that the file is ready to print; a process line completes itself in the icon and goes all of the way to the right side. And that's it. A yellow triangle appears, but there is no printing. I have gone through that sequence 6 - 7 times. I have OS 12

details:

1. I did a shut down and restart of the router, printer and Mac. Nothing changed.
  2. The WiFi button on the printer is blinking even though I am using a cable and don't want to use WiFi.
  3. I have Air Print. I worked through that menu and still no printing.
  4. The first two times I tried to print, I got a message that the printer was out of paper. In fact the paper tray is about 1/3 full. I open and closed the drawer, and the out-of-paper message went away.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 3:29 PM

3 replies

Apr 24, 2024 4:13 PM in response to jweist

Hi,

The Brother HL L2370DW is, as you know, a model supporting Apple's AirPrint technology.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Brother recommends using AirPrint:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2370dw_us&os=10072

AirPrint would (normally) be used with a network. However, you do not have to use a wireless printer connection with AirPrint. AirPrint supports wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. This means that you could connect the printer by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi (or wired) router, if you so wish.

With a USB direct cable computer to printer, one would normally need additional drivers. The problem in this case is that the latest printer drivers were for macOS 10.15 Catalina, which may or may not work with macOS 12 Monterey. It would be entirely experimental.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2370dw_us&os=10060

If a Catalina driver does not work, it may be possible to use generic macOS PCL printer software (since the printer in question supports PCL6).

As always, make sure that the printer firmware has been updated.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Can't connect MacBook, early 2015, to Brother HL L2370DW (2018) via cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.