Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Duplicate photos sidebar has disappeared

There's a lot of questions about the disappearing Duplicate sidebar here, but no answers. Does someone at Apple have a solution to this? It worked once after I downloaded Ventura, then I haven't seen the Duplicate tag again, it's gone and I definitely have a lot more duplicates in Iphoto.

Is it something that is being fixed by Apple? Or is it something I need to do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Apr 24, 2024 9:47 PM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2024 3:25 AM in response to Scraggy50

The duplicates album is only available in Photos on macOS Ventura or newer: Remove duplicate photos in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Are you still running Ventura on your Mac? The system version shown below your question is showing macOS 12, where the Duplicates album is not yet available.

What is the status bar showing in Photos, when you select "Library" in the sidebar and then click the "Days" tab? Is it still showing the loop "curating best photos, scanning for duplicates" etc.?

Apr 25, 2024 3:15 AM in response to Scraggy50

The answer is always the same: the Duplicates icon only appears when Photos sees duplicates. If the app does not see duplicates the icon goes away... nothing for Apple to fix, nothing for you to do.

The app is more or less continually cataloguing the library, and so it can find duplicates in different waves, often days or even weeks apart.

Apr 26, 2024 6:42 AM in response to Scraggy50

For me yesterday, 50 pictures took took about 10 hours to completely load to iCloud.com. At one point, after some hours, only 1 of the pictures was loaded. When I checked, it said "synced just now," and then suddenly changed to "syncing." From iCloud to my iPad was much quicker. Usually it's faster than that. My MacAir was plugged in and, I'm pretty sure, Photos was running in the background. Maybe it was up front.

A MacBook needs to be plugged in-- it will pause to preserve the battery, and it will ask if you want to continue syncing. And if you're actually using Photos, it may put off syncing so your work won't be interrupted. For some mysterious computer reasons, some syncs just seem to take longer.

Duplicate photos sidebar has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.